Re: Reformat Sd-Card?

"Werner Ruotsalainen [MS MVP - Mobile Devices]" <here@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:%23d7INDZTGHA.1576@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BTW, I've done quite a lot of work with SmartCards (even programmed them).

Same here. Smartcards ( biometrics and otherwise), some other security
stuff with various memory configurations. Suffice it to say that cards are
not hard drives and should not be treated as such.

xTenn Wrote:

An SD card's memory has a limited number of times that it can be used and
rewritten. To get around this limitation the card uses different areas
of its memory at different times, greatly extending the life of the
memory cycles to the point that it is quite practical. But it is not
always a contigous block.

That's not really correct. There is no such 'magic' in the flash
controller. It just makes sure it maps out the useless bits (in general, in
4-8 bytes at once);

I do believe that the controllers "spread out" the writes over the sectors
of the card, arrange as effective erase blocks. The card will even turn off
various sectors as the lifetime increases (but we are talking after a LOT of
use). Here are some links to back this up:

http://www.acscontrol.com/knowledgebase/article.asp?CatID=2&ID=7
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/OEM/ApplicationNotes/CompactFlash/AppNoteCFHostv1.0.pdf
http://www.kingston.com/products/DMTechGuide.pdf
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

May not be the case, but that is my understanding. No big deal either way.
:)

  • Re: I still want to build a new system
    ... selling parts for a server version of LGA2011 socket. ... I have, conservatively, about 120mm of clearance from processor to the top of my case, and this thing appears to be only 92mm tall -- plus, the pictures seem to show the footprint doesn't extend beyond the four lockdown screws, so it shouldn't interfere with sticks of memory. ... Motherboard: Asus P9X79 $319.99 ... Video Card: ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: I still want to build a new system
    ... selling parts for a server version of LGA2011 socket. ... Any advice regarding the memory question? ... Motherboard: Asus P9X79 $319.99 ... Video Card: ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Is there a guide to upgrading options?
    ... >it will cost to upgrade my system. ... - Video card. ... the cheapest 2 x 256MB memory pack with a brand name and warranty. ... Since the motherboard I selected has dual-channel memory it is best to ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips)
  • Re: display memory extra
    ... card has 64MB video RAM, ... but not actual display memory itself...but that's just a guess there, ... actually wasn't as expected...and is why Windows still - on the ... via the device driver...and via the device driver _only_... ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: 2nd CPU on a Sun Blade 2000 problem
    ... memory) and left the original in the '0' slot? ... will only find in a Sun Fire 280R (uses the same CPUs and system board, ... but is a rack mount server, and the RSC card allows "LOM" (Lights Out ... framebuffer slot -- and there is no way to use a UPA framebuffer in the ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)