Re: Shocked at How Much Just Doesn't Work

----------
doug ransom <yeah.right@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote...

> I have been using a PPC for 4 months. I am shocked at how hard stuff is
> and how much stuff you would expect to work just doesn't. I thought
> pretty much everyone who wanted a PDA had one and I would be a late
> majority person using a stable device as a workhorse: Use it for
> gettings things done (GTD) lists, as a portable calendar and address
> book, and as a toy too (photo album, surfing web from couch),

Doug have youi tried the Palm? Palms WORK and the reason I chose one over a
PPC. PPC's have many features and are cool and such, but if you are serious
about work, and need a powerful PIM that works, and you need access to your
Word and Excel files and need a easy sync to your desktop I'd go with the Palm
Pilots. I just bought a Zire 72 (after 2 years of excellent usage from my
VIIx). My Viix just worked and it did everything I needed. My new Zire 72
multimedia and a color screen which are really nice.

> * Outlook. Try and sync your calendar at work to exchange and home to
> outlook without exchange, so your family can view your calendar. It
> doesn't work. Try it and you will go mad.

Get a Palm and ask them about the Outlook Conduits

> * VPN. Good grief. Try and figure out how to set up a vpn to your home
> so you can safely sync over 802.11 from your couch. Find the
> instructions with screen caps and see if they make any sense.
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WM2003PPTPVPN.html

Dont know if Palm can do VPN

> * Networking. Those menus and stuff make no sense. No useful error
> messages when things go bad. The dialogs just close like everything is
> ok. The whole networking app makes no sense to me, doesn't match the
> user stories: Connect to work via VPN or USB. Connect to home via VPN
> or USB. Connect to internet at home via 802.11. COnnect to work via
> 802.11.

Palms cannot access a PC network to the best of my knowledge. But anyways
most
would use a laptop or desktop for such uses.

> * Charging on a USB. Plug it in, go to bed. Wake up and find your PPC
> has been up all night and not charged because a reminder popped up.

Not with a Palm

> * Note recording. Start the ppc from an off state with the recording
> button (Axim x50 has this), you never know where the sound recording
> will go - depends if a dialog popped up or was left open last time.

On the Palm you always kno where it will go and it will sync with your desktop
esily and without hasles

> Your recording might end up in some task!
> * Unusable error messages like 80010041b. A good DCOM programmer can
> recognize this has a COM error code, but can't fix it.
> * Reboots required sometimes.

I've never rebooted my new Zire 72 in response to a system crash

> * Occasional memory error. No idea what this means. Is the device
> pooched? Did the battery get too low? No usesul error message.
> * Pocket IE does a poor rendering of many web pages, even ones with good
> CSS i.e.

Palm cant do this that well, but thats why we have laptops. Palm will never
replace a laptop. Tragicially PPC's try and fail miserably.

Doug I suggest you at least try using a Palm device and see how you like it.
I've been using them for 5 years and have had fe problems. Granted its not a
mini laptop,but neither is a PPC. The difference is that Palm.com knows their
devices are not laptop replacements, Pocket PC companies do not.

http://alistair.cockburn.us/crystal/articles/sucwg/structuringucswithgoals.htm
> ..
>
> I haven't dared syncing email yet. Can I sync home and work emails
> seperately?
>

> Doug Ransom
>

> James B wrote:
> > Your right, no solution. It sucks big time as we also use encrypted email
> > between certain users who POP to the server and are sending sensitive
data.
> > Only solution, not much of one, is to OWA with the PPC to see those emails
> > or RDP to the desktop. Opinion here but it is pretty lame of MS not to
> > support it since they claim they are wanting to be so secure and security
> > aware.
> >
> > "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
> > <management@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>This has come up several times in the group and you may want to do a
> >
> > google
> >
> >>search of the group to make sure I"m correct here. I don't think you are
> >>going to be able to handle encrypted mail on your PPC.
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>
> >>--
> >>Clinton Fitch
> >>Senior Editor / Owner
> >>Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> >>http://www.clintonfitch.com
> >>
> >>A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
> >>
> >>"Flysoftware" <Flysoftware@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > me

  • Re: Question about PocketPCs
    ... I was not aware that Outlook could store notes. ... Is Outlook allot like Palm Desktop? ... I know 8MB would never work on a PPC. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: Tried Pocket PC but no thanks....
    ... I think you should stick with Palm. ... Pocket PCs are geared toward WLAN, ... Think of a PPC as a miniature windows network workstation. ... I was totally shocked with Outlook ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: Question about PocketPCs
    ... Is Outlook allot like Palm Desktop? ... would never go back because the PPC is so much more useful. ... the PIM that comes with PPC isn't all that good. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: Question about PocketPCs
    ... I haven't used Palm Desktop in a long time but think Outlook is a much more ... easily get a PPC off of e-bay. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: got my ipaq... still using my palm
    ... > palm zire 71, which i still have. ... My first impression is that PPC ... they should never have continued up to the 4th version of PalmOS. ... as if it were installed in the internal memory. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)