Re: Dumb Question-WEP

From: Nigel Kendrick (nkendrick_at_atthecustomerserviceacademydot.com)
Date: 03/02/04

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:00:49 -0000

"TMG" <tmg06@attbi.com> wrote in message
news:g09940lfs33s84dllok424k9n57krnm893@4ax.com...
> Re: IPAQ 5455 + WinMobile 2003 w/WLAN driver 3.2.2.123.
> I haven't had to worry about security until now that I see 4 other
> wireless networks in my neighborhood are available. I use a Belkin
> 54g wireless router. When I select 128bit WEP in the router and
> generate hex pairs using a passphrase, all is well. When I select WEP
> on my IPAQ and ok,ok,ok,X soft reset, I get a connected indication
> with the arrows but the IE browser keeps saying "page not available".
> When I disable WEP at both sources, all works fine again. How do I
> WEP enable this PDA?
> Thanks
> TMG

Sounds like you're close.

Make sure the WEP keys you use are both in the same case (upper or lower)
and, if possible, generate the keys using a passphrase at one end and then
key in the hex values generated at the other. If you want to verify that
your WEP config is/should be working, try manually entering the keys using,
say all 1s for one key, 2s for the next etc. and then duplicating these at
the other end.

Let us know how you get on.

NK

Relevant Pages

  • [SLE] Ensuring wlan connection is encrypted
    ... use WEP encryption, just so that traffic between the machines has some form ... the pcs - details below with keys altered... ... if WEP is enabled? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: ath(4) driver problems with WEP...
    ... that the WEP key is correct. ... I just committed a fix to ifconfig to correctly handle ... 128-bit WEP keys. ... FWIW I enabled turbo mode with: ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Is Dynamic WEP Secure Enough?
    ... Forgive me for my ignorance and please correct me if I am wrong OR if I have wrongly understood these/ any of the replies to the Dynamic WEP question ... different users changing their keys at different points in time ... The physical security that is existing on the ground that can contribute and hence the probability of finding out a parking lot hacker ... WEP can be cracked in less than ten minutes (even on a network without ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: how do I secure my Wi-Fi network
    ... The older standard, 802.11b has an encryption scheme called WEP, ... which uses keys of either 64bit or 128bit. ... > I want to switch my network from cable to wireless. ... > wireless networks to log on, ...
  • Re: [SLE] Wireless problems...
    ... that my problem is when I use wep and shared keys. ... Can someone send me a configuration example? ... > Tried to force that config manually with iwconfig commands, ...
    (SuSE)