Re: What do I need ?

r_z_aret_at_pen_fact.com
Date: 09/03/04

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:34:19 -0400

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:27:59 +0200, "Mr B" <ask@me> wrote:

>"Reed Robison [MSFT]" wrote...
>
><snip>
>> Developing Applications for Windows Mobile
>>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnppcgen/html/devmobfaq.asp
>> .NET Compact Framework
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/netcf/faq/default.aspx
>> Mobile2Market
>>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/partners/mobile2market/faq.aspx
>
>Thanks a lot, that really got me a step further :)
>
>It seems there basicly are two approaches
>1) An embedded C++ compiler
>2) Visual Studio NET
>I think I read something about upgrading VS6 to NET somewhere ?
>
>Im a bit unfamiliar with the term "managed code" ?

This is a term associated with .NET compilers. I don't use them, so
I'm not the best source of info. But other folks overlooked this part
of your question, so I'll take a stab. I think it is at least partly
an attempt to eliminate "dll hell", by making each module specify its
version so each executable gets the right version of each module it
uses. Code is actually "compiled" to and shipped as an intermediary
pseudo code, which is translated (not sure of proper term) to machine
code at run-time.

>If I tell you we need to develope an application that is graphical very
>intense, pretty much eats up all the resources of the PPC, and probably
>needs internet access, what approach would you recommend ?

eVC will get you closest to the metal, and thus let you produce the
tightest (smallest and/or fastest) executables. And you already said
(another post in this thread) that you're comfortable with VC. Biggest
gotcha will be strings, so make sure you understand UNICODE (the
strings and the compiler setting).

>TIA
>Lars

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Executable sizes of HLLs
    ... and Modula-2 produce larger code than most C compilers ... seems the resulting executables always come out bloated. ... libraries for other languages, maybe C++. ... shared lib code. ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Non-constant constant strings
    ... compilers allowed writable strings. ... compilers to make string literals writable. ... one for the initialization value and ... If the extension was called "writable-strings", ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: About Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
    ... which should show up the overhead of various compilers quite well: ... int main ... The code of printf is very bulky since needs an extended precision ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Quines
    ... Meaning that you cannot run the program, meaning that no output will be ... Some C compilers will compile ... compilers are certainly allowed to translate empty source files into ... executables that do nothing, or even executables that do something, such ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Accented characters and MessageBox
    ... You should not store accented characters in sources. ... You must always know the encoding of the file. ... Japanese strings and to compile on a US system. ... For the second, very few compilers, source control systems, diff ...