Re: What do I need ?

r_z_aret_at_pen_fact.com
Date: 09/03/04

Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:34:19 -0400

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:27:59 +0200, "Mr B" <ask@me> wrote:

>"Reed Robison [MSFT]" wrote...
>
><snip>
>> Developing Applications for Windows Mobile
>>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnppcgen/html/devmobfaq.asp
>> .NET Compact Framework
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/netcf/faq/default.aspx
>> Mobile2Market
>>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/partners/mobile2market/faq.aspx
>
>Thanks a lot, that really got me a step further :)
>
>It seems there basicly are two approaches
>1) An embedded C++ compiler
>2) Visual Studio NET
>I think I read something about upgrading VS6 to NET somewhere ?
>
>Im a bit unfamiliar with the term "managed code" ?

This is a term associated with .NET compilers. I don't use them, so
I'm not the best source of info. But other folks overlooked this part
of your question, so I'll take a stab. I think it is at least partly
an attempt to eliminate "dll hell", by making each module specify its
version so each executable gets the right version of each module it
uses. Code is actually "compiled" to and shipped as an intermediary
pseudo code, which is translated (not sure of proper term) to machine
code at run-time.

>If I tell you we need to develope an application that is graphical very
>intense, pretty much eats up all the resources of the PPC, and probably
>needs internet access, what approach would you recommend ?

eVC will get you closest to the metal, and thus let you produce the
tightest (smallest and/or fastest) executables. And you already said
(another post in this thread) that you're comfortable with VC. Biggest
gotcha will be strings, so make sure you understand UNICODE (the
strings and the compiler setting).

>TIA
>Lars

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP