Re: "Your IMAP server closed the connection."

In message <OIqlvx8oHHA.1220@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> "Kent Moore"
<kent.moorenospam@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I have also changed "server timeouts" to 10 minutes and this does not help.
I wish Outlook would have an option to allow this message to be turned off.

You have identified the crux of the problem -- The IMAP protocol
specifically allows the server to drop the connection, and suggests that
clients handle it gracefully rather then whining to the user.

Outlook doesn't.

Microsoft was informed of this as far back as the 90s, and has decided
to opt for user-unfriendliness.

All that being said, if your IMAP server leaves connections for at least
30 minutes (the IMAP spec's suggested minimum idle time) then you
shouldn't see this issue much unless you have some networking gear that
kills idle connections (many cheapo SOHO NAT boxes do, unfortunately)

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?

  • Sudden send/receive failures against UW IMAP
    ... Suddenly, our Outlook and Outlook Express users (various versions, ... "A connection to the server could not be established. ... Mail server is Redhat Enterprise Linux 3.0 with default IMAP server ... Other network connections to the server are fine ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.interop)
  • RE: folders and contacts did not copy from outlook express to outlook
    ... It is possible to migrate your messages in their folders from Outlook ... You will first need to upload your entire mailbox to an IMAP server. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.installation)
  • [OT] Re: Replacing Microsoft Exchange
    ... >> What versions of outlook have problems with LDAP and IMAP? ... > Outlook has a lot of bugs in it, that AFAIK M$ has no interest in fixing. ... CD to install the feature - even if you 'installed everything' when you ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Questions from a Newbie to Outlook 2007
    ... Windows Mail and Outlook Express. ... someone who posted yesterday) when working with IMAP accounts. ... Note that views on IMAP ... folders are harder to affect and they often revert this method may not ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • RE: Why IMAP so Inconsistent, fickle, not user friendly etc. vs POP
    ... concerning IMAP. ... IMAP settings to operate. ... Contacted my ISP server and also ... setting in outlook to IMap. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)