Outlook and Offline Folders using IMAP

I'm running Outlook 2007. It seams to support the IMAP protocol reasonably well. However, I can't figure out how to move messages between folders when I'm offline (it gives an error message saying I can't, see below). This same operation works fine in MS Windows Mail (the equivalent of Outlook Express that ships with Windows Vista) and Mozilla Thunderbird. It's clearly not a limitation of IMAP.

I can download messages and read and delete them when I'm offline. I just can't move them between folders unless I'm online. Since Outlook synchronizes any changes to a folder when it reconnects to the IMAP server, and since I can read the messages in the folders, it obviously has the technology to do this. What am I missing?

As things are now, I can't process my mail when I'm offline - I need to read and file every message to clear out my Inbox. If I can't do that, I can't keep my work life organized. This all works just fine when working I'm online. But, as many of you know, while sitting on a plane, it's a great time to process e-mail and there's no chance of working in online mode midflight. For similar reasons, I would prefer to use Outlook to Windows Mail or Thunderbird - I want to flag messages as To Do's, and perform other functions that require the messages to be in Outlook.

Thanks for any help,
Colin

Error Messages
If I set Outlook to Offline mode (note I am not trying to move the folder, just an individual message):
Cannot move the items. The folder 'Inbox' cannot be selected. This may be because of a limitation of your IMAP server or the folder may have been deleted or moved.

If I leave Outlook in Online mode, but just physically sever it from the network:

  • Re: Questions from a Newbie to Outlook 2007
    ... It tends to be "less than fully satisfying" when working with IMAP accounts. ... Note that views on IMAP folders are harder to affect and they often revert this method may not work on the IMAP accounts. ... Folders usually do expand when you get new messages in them so you may be able to set the folders to update automatically to make them expand - but as I mentioned earlier, IMAP in outlook sucks, so it may not work for IMAP accounts. ... You can have all pop delivered to one inbox or set each to go to a different folder but not IMAP. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • RE: Exchange & OAB
    ... 887409 The offline Address Book may not download successfully in Outlook ... This code creates a new folder named 'OAB Version 3a'. ... How many email accounts are configured in your current Outlook profile? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Force .OST file - when in sequence?
    ... I understand that you want to know how to set up OST file for outlook, ... that when machine is offline, clients still can access their mailbox. ... When you turn on Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook ... folder exactly as you do with a folder that is on a server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Re: On 3/22/2010 7:14 PM, rfoszcz wrote:Your question really is:"I used to have a
    ... One thing that definitely won't download automatically through IMAP is the emails you sent while using POP. ... You can drag those also from your Outlook Personal Folder - Sent Items to you IMAP Sent Folder. ... Compacted Outlook 2010 .pst files for both local personal folders and IMAP account. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: How to save sent mail in user secified folder ?
    ... can't connect to the imap, a copy is not saved at all. ... Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] ... Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines ... > to the folder and not copied. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)