Re: How do I get Outlook to receive my Cox.net email?

"SusiB" <SusiB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:542BE441-8705-491A-A87C-C924EB622AF7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Excuse me, Vanguard, for what you seem to assume is ignorance on my part. I
was told from the people who accepted my money when I bought Microsoft Office
2003 that I would be able to use Outlook for my email which is configured
thru Cox. That is what I wanted and that is what I was attempting to do.

> There was no error message, but all of my incoming mail is still going > to
> the
> Cox site
>
> "Vanguard" wrote:
>
>> "SusiB" <SusiB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> >I have entered the pop3 and smtp addresses in Microsoft office 2003
>> >Outlook
>> > according to the microsoft intructions for cox.net. I am able to >> > send
>> > email
>> > but any incoming mail is still going to the Cox site, not to >> > Outlook.
>>

>> So what is the error shown for attempting to receive e-mail through >> the
>> account in which you configured the Cox POP3 server for incoming
>> messages?

It ALWAYS goes to the Cox site - if that is who is your e-mail provider.
You use *their* mail servers so that is to where your e-mail gets delivered.
If you want to yank it down to your computer to have a local copy of your
e-mails then you have to connect a compatible e-mail client to their mail
servers to download your mails.

So saying that it still goes to the "Cox site", whatever that means, is
stating the obvious because your incoming e-mails always go there. Since
you asked in an Outlook newsgroup, it was assumed that you wanted to know
how to yank them from the "Cox site" and get them into Outlook. That means
you will need to define an e-mail account in Outlook that specifies their
POP3 and SMTP mail servers. For that configuration, call Cox to whom you
pay the money for their service or read their web site for help on setting
up Outlook.

But you said there were no errors in Outlook when you polled for incoming mails and when you sent outgoing messages. That means Outlook successfully retrieved any pending new incoming mails and also successfully sends your outgoing messages. You can send your outgoing e-mails so you have the e-mail account in Outlook correctly configured for the Cox SMTP server. Since you cannot retrieve your e-mails from the Cox POP3 server, there would be an error. If you don't see the Progress dialog, go to Tools -> Send and Receive Settings -> Show Progress (that is the menu navigation in Outlook 2002; it is slightly different in Outlook 2003). You can then see what were the results from polling the POP3 server and sending through the SMTP server. Copy and paste the error here but munge out your personal info, like the account name.

If there are no errors in the Progress dialog then Outlook worked according to how you configured the e-mail account in it. Maybe you have rules that move mails out of your Inbox to some other folder or delete them on arrival. Check what rules you have defined. OL2003's junk filter might be turned on and moving mails to your Junk folder.

Another place to check is the poll settings since you can configure an account to send only, receive only, or both (which is the default). Under the Tools -> Send and Receive Settings -> Define Send and Receive Groups menu (menu navigation will be slightly different in OL2003), pick the group under which your account is grouped, click Edit, and look at the polling properties for your account. Check that this account is included in the send/receive group (it may appear in multiple groups but it needs to be enabled in one of them to be active). Make sure the Inbox is checked and that both the send and receive options are enabled (i.e., checked).

If all else fails, enable the transport logging in Outlook (Tools -> Options -> Other -> Advanced -> Enable transport logging) and paste the contents of the logfile (%temp%\opmlog.log) in a reply post here and we can see if your POP3 server is ever getting used and what gets returned from the commands sent to it. Munge out your account username from the log output before putting it in a public place, like here.

.