Re: Browser not supported, even though I am running the latest version of IE?

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832765 "'Warning: You are viewing this page with an unsupported Web browser' warning message appears when you visit the Office Update Web site".

Joergen Bech @ wrote:

Trying to access officeupdate.microsoft.com.

I get a rendering of the page which is just plain text and links.
As if the page had been written 10 years ago.

When I select "Check for Updates", I get this message:

---snip---
Internet Explorer version 5.5 or later is required

The Office Update site can perform detection on your computer and tell
you exactly which updates you need! To take advantage of this service,
please return to this site with MSN Explorer or Microsoft Internet
Explorer version 5.5 or later installed. If you are already using
Internet Explorer 5.5 or later and you are using Internet Security,
Internet Privacy, or personal firewall products, the products may be
interfering with browser detection. Please temporarily turn off these
products and then try visiting this site again. For more information
about this issue, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 832765.
---snip---

When I (from the front page) select "Download today's clip", I get

---snip---
Warning: You are viewing this page with an unsupported Web browser.
This Web site works best with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or
later or Netscape Navigator 6.0 or later.
---snip---

I am running Internet Explorer 6.02900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519.

All Windows updates are installed (windowsupdate.microsoft.com still
works).

I have tried to solve the problems by going through the usual motions:
- clear cookie cache
- set browser language
- clear temporary files
- sfc /scannow
- set all browser settings (security as well) to their default values
- reinstall msjava and Sun java
- disabling Windows XP firewall (no other firewall products installed)
- checked for spyware (with SpyBot Search & Destroy as well as Windows
Defender)
- checked for virus (with McAfee)
- (and probably more)

But so far no luck.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem? At least FireFox gives me
a nice rendering of the officeupdate front page, but - of course -
this won't allow me to perform the office update function.

TIA,

Joergen Bech

  • Wrong Browser???
    ... Every time I try to start the Office Update I ... receive the error message "Warning: You are viewing this page with an ... unsupported Web browser. ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
  • Re: Office 2000 Updates
    ... I am running Windows 2000 ... Delete Contents of Microsoft Internet Explorer ... >Explorer so that the Office Update ActiveX control can ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
  • Re: Office 2000 Updates
    ... Delete Contents of Microsoft Internet Explorer Cache Folder ... you may not be able to download the Office Update ... Identify and Correct Corrupted Office Installations ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
  • Re: Unable to Update MS Office via the Update Option on the Web
    ... Delete Contents of Microsoft Internet Explorer Cache Folder ... you may not be able to download the Office Update ... Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)
  • Re: Error message - error has occured in the script on this page
    ... That you're using Internet Explorer. ... That no issues are reported after running Windows Live Safety Center ... you may not be able to download the Office Update ... your Office installation may be corrupted. ...
    (microsoft.public.officeupdate)