Re: Is a solution to the Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0 the LIS tool?

From: Chad Harris (ddram32_nospam_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/04/04

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:59:50 -0400

Sloan--

Thanks for this, because even when I finally got SP1 in it's in Event Viewer lilterally one minute after, and after last week of SP1 versus me for a few days, (although I wonder now had I used the Windows Install Repair Utility or LIS if I might have gotten it in sooner), I still got a series of those errors right before I ran the Update wizard and I'm still seeing it and I'm not trying to install anything. I wonder if for some reason just opening OL or Word is evoking it--they are working fine. If I had had your explanations from the last two days including the one on the Windows Install Repair Utility I would have used it in a heartbeat.

I have never used the LIS tool, but I believe that's not what you said--you meant that registry information got corrupted possibly during setup regarding the LIS feature not that you would have had to use it first to get the error.

  And at first I thought (and superficially) on 7/27 when the series of SP1s released, that there was a rush on the MSFT servers and they were overwhelmed but unless there were an unusual attack on them that impacted them (my understanding is that there are upwards of 250,000 attacks on MSFT servers or its security system daily) I doubt that would happen. *Then it began happening even when I was trying to install a downloaded excutable of MOS 03 SP1 so I began to wonder if it was a very short time out from my ISP's server until a number of people started showing up with this error.

I don't want you to spend much time with these (I'm not trying to ask you about every little error I see but I haven't been able to search these "detection of product errors down" I've been having since I loaded Office 2003 and wanted to show you these(they show up frequently in Event Viewer), and if you're able to glance at them and context them for me as errors I need to do something about I'd really appreciate it. I wondered if it meant I was missing something essential since they say a Word or Outlook component failed.

Detection of product '{91E30409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'OUTLOOKFiles', component '{3CE26368-6322-4ABF-B11B-458F5C450D0F}' failed. The resource 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE' does not exist.
Detection of product '{91E30409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'WORDFiles' failed during request for component '{1EBDE4BC-9A51-4630-B541-2561FA45CCC5}'

Detection of product '{91E30409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'WORDFiles', component '{1EBDE4BC-9A51-4630-B541-2561FA45CCC5}' failed. The resource 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE' does not exist.

Detection of product '{91E30409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'WORDFiles' failed during request for component '{1EBDE4BC-9A51-4630-B541-2561FA45CCC5}'

Detection of product '{91E30409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'WORDFiles', component '{1EBDE4BC-9A51-4630-B541-2561FA45CCC5}' failed. The resource 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE' does not exist.

The MOF file created for the Outlook service could not be loaded. The error code returned by the MOF Compiler is contained in the Record Data. Before the performance counters of this service can be collected by WMI the MOF file will need to be loaded manually. Contact the vendor of this service for additional information.
Performance counters for the Outlook (Outlook) service were loaded successfully. The Record Data contains the new index values assigned to this service.

User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Detection of product '{91E30409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'WISPHidden', component '{DCE23ACB-E055-44F1-88BD-2D1A75A8FCB8}' failed. The resource 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\1033\PROTTPLN.PPT' does not exist.\

The description for Event ID ( 19011 ) in Source ( MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM ) cannot be found.

The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: (SpnRegister) : Error 1355.

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( OfficeUpdateV3 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: V3_2|511735|INSTALL|MAINSP1_6361_ENG||2004-07-30 01:32:17|9|FAIL|00000000|The operation completed successfully.

Thanks,

Chad Harris
  "Sloan Crayton [MS]" <sloanc@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OBZ1sMeeEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
  We're investigating this error, Chad. Several folks have sent their log files to me, and what they have in common is corrupted registry information regarding the LIS feature. With the log files we're hopeful that we'll be able to fix the problem and provide a workaround for those who've already encountered it. We expect that this corruption also 'breaks' the LIS Tool.

  Sloan Crayton
  Microsoft
    "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23Cqk4SSeEHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    If not, what is this error, and what's the remedy? I'm struck by this explanation Sloan Crayton made of the LIS tool:

    Do you have a clear understanding of the reason for this Local Install
    Source feature? If you leave the LIS intact (with all of the CAB files from
    the CD), it will eliminate the need to connect to the source when updating
    your client.

    Frequently Asked Questions About the Local Install Source Feature
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830168

    A number of people have been posting that they can't get MOS 2003 SP1 in, and that they can't use the Office Update tool. The Update tool can be bypassed to a downloads page, but the only error they are showing in Event Viewer is *Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x800401F0*.

    I have tried to figure out what this error means, and googling it provides a plethora of engimas enshroweded in a pllentiful supply of mysteries--nothing clear even searching error sites.

    I got the error on a successful install from the Wizard connected to Office Update's scanner using the full file, but I also got it in conjunction with the others every time I failed using the client file either with the scanner/wizard or using downloaded executables.

    Would the LIS tool help this, because somehow it would prevent your falling prey to a Fail to Connect to Server problem since LIS "eliminates the need to connect to the source?"

    Frequently Asked Questions About the Local Install Source Feature
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830168

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/journ/LISTool.htm.
    Change the Local Installation Source After the Installation

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/two/ch3/DepC06.htmTaking
    Advantage of a Local Installation Source

    Other LIS Resources:

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/journ/LISupdt.htm

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/journ/LISTool.htm

    Chad Harris

  • Re: LIS Tool
    ... You will need to REINSTALL the Office suite. ... "Local Installation Source files" not the programs thenselves. ... and the LIS Tool is not designed for that purpose. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Move LIS for Office 2007 after install
    ... Is there an easy way to move the local installation source (MSOCache) to a ... MS Office 2003 with the LIS Tool? ... I looked in the registry but could find no setting that points to the LIS. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)