Re: Can't register Office 2000 - I can use it only 30 more times!

The wording of the pop-up is something like"You can use this software 22 more
times before you are required to register." The countdown and the little
word "required" are what have me concerned. Admittedly, when I've
reinstalled in the past, I never let the counter go to zero.

Other products that ask for registration usually give an option to opt-out
or offer a check box "do not show this again."

I really think that MSFT Office 2000 "register" is an early form of
activation, i.e. to have a computer check their database and see if the copy
is legit.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

REGISTRATION is optional. That's when you visit the website and punch in
your name, address, job title, etc.

ACTIVATION is required. that's where you punch in the 25 digit key in a
dialog box within the program.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Lee Beck" <LeeBeck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Now we've come full circle.

See DL's 11-14-07 response (ditto yours) and Millie's of 11 - 15/16
acknowledgement that it isn't optional.

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

*Registration* is optional. *Activation* is required.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Lee Beck" <LeeBeck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks, Milly. Yours is the first response that appears to acknowledge
that
my legally purchased Office 2000 will become useless if I continue to
use
it
without registering it. However, I still can't figure out how to
register.
Summarizing from my original post:

* I tried the Internet option and it said server down (or unavailable).
* After a few hours and several tries I opted for the email option. I
got
return that said a code had been emailed to me. I never fot the code
* Now when I try to register the Internet option is not even
available -
only register by telephone.
* I tried the telephone number provided by the wizard and I get someone
in
India that says the number is only for activation - not registrateio.
After
a lengthy discussion, I'm referred to a customer service number
* I call customer service (another foreigh national) I am given the
number
provided by the wizard (where no help is received.
* I go to MSFT newsgroup commuiteis (here) and a discussion gets
started
on
whether or not registration is really required.

The sites to which you refer are primarilly for volume and educational
licensing, and anti-piracy. I'm still looking for a way to register my
single copy. Maybe if I uninstall my copy of Office and reinstall it
It
will
allow the Internet option again?

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

For further information, if you really want to know:

Description of volume licensing with the Office 2000 Registration
Wizard:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240085/en-us

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Gordon asked: