- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces
- @Hotmail.com

"share the nirvana mann" - dbZen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"DL" <notvalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:Oqaek#XOKHA.1796@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
o/s - operating sys - winxp?

"James SB" <JamesSB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4E4D8C74-5064-4AEB-A37B-3756D0424E94@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What is o/s? I will try there and thanks for the info.
--
James B

"DL" wrote:

The Backup up utility, ntbackup? is a feature of the o/s and not Office, try
a post to the group that supports your o/s

>I need to be able to acces my external hard drive which I am unable to >do I
> need feedback on why I can't launch the backup system program. I use > the
> backup for saving documents, pistures and so on.
> -- > James B
>

> "db" wrote:
>
>> perhaps, you should consider a better methodology to
>> preserve you data.
>>
>> first of all, as long as the system restore feature is
>> functional, you rarely need to back up your system files.
>>
>> one of the pitfalls of backup is the time and the space it
>> requires.
>>
>> the windows system restore is an excellent choice for
>> "regular" and frequent backups of system files.
>>
>> however, you should create copies of your personal files
>> as a backup because the system restore feature does not
>> process personal files, like docs, pics, etc...
>>
>> therefore instead of backing up your personal files on a
>> regular basis,
>>
>> utilize the convenience of the microsoft's sync toy to simply
>> make straight copies of your personal files onto a different
>> location / disk.
>>
>> also, microsoft provides 25 gigs of free space online which
>> will be another method to preserve copies of your personal
>> files.
>>
>> the feature above is called "skydrive"
>>
>> -----------------
>>
>> in regards to the current issue you have with your backups and
>> device, there is little we can suggest,
>>
>> other than to review your methodologies to ensure that when
>> you are in dire need of restoring an archive or copy,
>>
>> the system you have selected is 100% reliable.
>>
>> one tip to making backups is to create the archive locally
>> on the same disk.
>>
>> then copy that archive onto an external disk
>>
>> in the future in order to restore the archive you
>> would then copy from the external disk onto
>> the internal disk and commence the restore.
>>
>> another tip is to use disk imaging instead of
>> the standard backup.
>>
>> a disk imaging program like drive image xml
>> in addition to barts' pe is a reliable method
>> to restore a computer from smaller disk images
>>
>> -- >> db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>> - Systems Analyst
>> - Database Developer
>> - Accountancy
>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>> - @Hotmail.com
>>
>> "share the nirvana mann" - dbZen
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> >

>> "James SB" <JamesSB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > I was trying to back up my files this morning as well as look for
>> > something
>> > from a previous backup and for some reason it wouldn't launch. Even
>> > when I
>> > tried to open the external hard drive that I back up to, it >> > wouldn't
>> > launch.
>> > Any ideas-As always thanks for feedback-Scott
> [...]

  • Re: Backup Utility Wont Launch
    ... need feedback on why I can't launch the backup system program. ... as long as the system restore feature is ... process personal files, like docs, pics, etc... ... on the same disk. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Backup Utility Wont Launch
    ... need feedback on why I can't launch the backup system program. ... as long as the system restore feature is ... process personal files, like docs, pics, etc... ... on the same disk. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: backup apps -> reinstall xp -> restore apps?
    ... info), reinstall XP, and then restore those apps? ... The advantage of these disk cloning/disk imaging programs is that they are ... one reason or another your working HDD becomes dysfunctional you are able to ... Step-by-Step Instructions for Using the Acronis True Image Program to Backup ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Bad Experience with Acronis Backup Software
    ... last good message but will not help if there is a disk hardware crash. ... You said that Symantec Ghost 10 is still a very good backup program. ... What do you think of Symantec Save and Restore? ... drives onto another drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Reconfig WindowsBackup so doesnt require diskette for Restore
    ... for a restore operation is the source of the backed up files. ... I guess basically we need to decide what you consider a "restore" disk. ... service running so it can backup in-use files. ... temporary files and you'll run out of room quickly on the DVD! ...