Re: DITCH THE RIBBON!

You might be surprised at how the Office 2007 UI accommodates a lot of
what you listed. As Patrick suggested, read Jensen's blog. He shares a
lot of insight on the new UI and the "why" behind it.

FWIW, I was singing a similar tune about a year or so ago. Now I think
it was due to lack of knowledge. I *knew" the old UI with my eyes
closed and felt like complete newbies trying to use Office 2007. All
my years of learning the Office applications, I started using Excel
around 1985, was now worthless. It felt like I was learning to walk
all over again and actually, I completely understand your whining
because I was right there with you not too long ago.

I started using Office 2007 more and more because I love some of the
new features, document themes which give you the ability to not only
change the format and overall look of an Office document in seconds
but to also include formatting for content you haven't even added yet,
such as pasting data from Excel in Word and have it formatted to match
my other tables in about two clicks: one for paste and one for
applying the format. I ability to just adding data and not spending a
bunch of time reformatting the darn thing is a good thing for me.
(This allows me more time to search for some of the commands I can't
seem to find. lol)

The new graphic effects and SmartArt are fantastic, insert an image
and experiment with some of the picture styles - those are pretty
awesome. And the galleries with the live preview - I like being able
to preview a format quickly and not repeatedly apply different
formatting over and over until I find what I'm looking for. Some of my
favorite new features are in Outlook, the new ability to overlay
multiple calendars and the instant search is *very* cool!

But if I want the new functionality I also need to adapt to the new UI
so I'm slowly making the compromise. I know this sounds like a sales
pitch, but believe me and there are others who will attest to this, I
was one of the first on the "this bites" band wagon and I'm pretty
sure there a few folks who are surprised to actually hear me singing
praises for once. <grin>

I still have my moments and want my old 'familiar' UI back but like I
said before, is it worth trading the new functionality? So the more I
use it the more I adjust.

What I recommend to those who hate the new UI, is to play around with
it for awhile and check out the new features and do a little reading
to get a better understanding for why they changed the UI. Jensen
Harris has a great series on this topic (if you only want to read one
the second link has a the best explanation):
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2005/09/26/473950.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2005/10/03/476412.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2005/10/10/479123.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2005/10/17/481809.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2005/10/24/484131.aspx

You can find more information on the Office preview site and the
Communities link has links to other blogs and articles:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/community/articles.mspx

Then, if the new functionally doesn't encourage you want to learn
Office 2007 then by all means, uninstall the beta and go back to your
old version.

Oh, and you may be happy to know Clippy, and all of his buddies, are
dead. ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/community/article_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
The old way was horrible because nothing could be locked.. the
toolbars changed all the time, and there was not enough guidance on
how to do stuff....
Of course I am ignoring clippy who should be resting in peace.

I am sure I could find a better way to do this... using technology
of 2006-7 for crying out loud!

First of all the interface should be able to lock down, like the XP
taskbar...
second it should be completely configurable in icon size, placements
and movement.
The size of these should be SCALABLE like in ZOOM action. Having
increments of 100% and not
only small - large etc. This should be done with a slider control
and mouse wheel.
Also you should be able to save workspaces and retrieve the settings
back or
years.. look
at corel draw for workspaces.
You should be able to tear off the toolbars into ONE
window (the toolbars should stick with each other in a group)
so you can place it to another monitor for multimonitor users..
so you can have the first monitor full screen to write on.

I can think of a million ways to do it better than this
monstrosity.. if you lack imagination and eat what is
given to you by Microsoft.. you are in trouble! I would gladly
receive a check from MS if they wanted some ideas,
because they seem to lack all logic and ingenuity....

There are so many people who have seen office 2007 and have said
they will stick to 2003... its not only me.

I am right about this. There is no question about it. The only
question is if Microsoft will understand this blundering
mistake before they release office 2007 final, or they will have to
fix this in the next version, probably 2009?
If they get the message loud enough they will give a way to revert
back to office 2003 interface with SP1.

"rocky" <rocky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Please enlighten us. If you believe that the old interface was
horrible and
the new interface is even more horrible, show us your design that
scales to
the size of the resolution and that is not "horrible".

"John Jay Smith" wrote:

You should be enlightened and get some better taste....

as for blog 2, when you have higher resolutions you dont go ahead
and make
giant toolbars...
rather you make the gui so it can be customized to the size that
better fits
you and your screen.

BAD DESIGN! And vista is the same crappy design.... and IE7 and
WMP11!

"rocky" <rocky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Read the following articles and be enlightened!

The following article talks about how the size of the ribbon is
about the
same as the size of the combined size of the toolbars in
previous versions
of
Office:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/04/17/577485.aspx

The following article talks about Fitts' Law and explains how
the size of
buttons needs to be increased because screen resolutions have
increased:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/08/22/711808.aspx

The following article talks about the customisation of ribbon
and how only
2% of users customised the toolbars in previous versions of
Office:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/06/27/648269.aspx

"John Jay Smith" wrote:

hularious comments from the cnet site... humour reveals the
truth!!!

Billion dollar company can't figure out if a ribbon bar is too
big

Reader post by: bobby_brady
Posted on: August 25, 2006, 10:27 AM PDT
Story: Microsoft rolls up Office ribbon
Man, it really took beta testers to complain to them that the
ribbon bar
is
too big? Doesn't Microsoft actually use their own products?

Can't they say something like "geez boss, this ribbon bar is
too big, we
should make it smaller, eh boss"?

http://news.com.com/5208-1012-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=20550&messageID=177937&start=-1

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
again and again I have criticized how horrible the ribbon
is... at
least
some very
small steps are being made but Microsoft to make it less
intrusive........

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+rolls+up+Office+ribbon/2100-1012_3-6109590.html?tag=nefd.top

Dont worry... they will have to improve it, make it an
"option" or
remove
the damn monstrosity
after they see the sales of office 2007 slump....

  • Re: DITCH THE RIBBON!
    ... || paste and one for applying the format. ... || Microsoft Office MVP ... ||| You should be able to tear off the toolbars into ONE ... The following article talks about how the size of the ribbon is ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: text to bibliography?
    ... Help files are perfectly searchable nowadays. ... It is most certainly not coined by Microsoft. ... Once you start adding delimeters, you can just as well use ... However, to automate the entire process, the input format has to be ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: text to bibliography?
    ... It is most certainly not coined by Microsoft. ... convert to the "format" used by the bibliographic database: ... Once you start adding delimeters, you can just as well use ... I've put tabs between the fields, in order to do Text to Table? ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: WORD document size limit
    ... The size of the content in memory, the speed of the processor, the memory in your graphics card and the ... If you take a look at some of the features in Word, Sharepoint and document management and workflows, I'm guessing that what will ... Microsoft, in using and creating various developer tools to assemble all of the parts of the spec from its various database and work ... new XML based document formats even folks at Microsoft are not always using Word to manipulate, build, or format Word 'documents'. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right
    ... the point of making this a modular userspace daemon is that we don't ... piped through the indexing daemon, and the daemon would then have plugins ... but we're not trying to dictate a format. ... Microsoft straightjacket their product; we should build it open, transparent, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)