Re: Windows (all apps) can't play .asf files!!

Uninstalling wouldn't be necessary here. What advantage were you trying to
gain there? I deliberately didn't mention/recommend that because it
wouldn't be necessary.

Reinstalling won't typically fix up random issues, but if you feel that it's
some sort of deleted file, then a simple reinstall of WMP would verify that
theory.

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

"Manuel S." <ManuelS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi again zachd:

Well, the problem is that wmp isn't very easy to uninstall... In the
uninstall applet it's disabled and I tried downloading it from ms and
install
that package. Nothing happened. Probably I need to remove it completely
and
try again - how?

PD.- About windows media connect: I could finally remove it: the problem
was
I had to "stomp" it by disabling roll back and making a defective
uninstallation. Then I run the installer for fixing what I broke and then
it
was possible to uninstall completely. Maybe I have to do something similar
wmp?

"zachd [ms]" wrote:

It's possible that that stomped on/deleted WMP files. Does reinstalling
fix
it for you?

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)
rights.

"Manuel S." <ManuelS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi, Zachd:

Ok, I have WMP10, and no: asf don't play in wmp2, nor real player, nor
winamp, even applications (games) that use asf files cant play them.
Other
files (wmv, mpeg, avi, mov...) can be played properly.
Maybe I deleted something when I uninstalled a video converter?

thans for your help!!!

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

What version of WMP?
Do they work in mplayer2.exe?
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#isolate

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)
rights.
--
"Manuel S." <ManuelS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi:
I have win xp home sp2, I bought the PC 1 month ago, and suddenly,
.asf
files can't be played (maybe any application I uninstalled?)

windows media player says: "WMP can't play the file. Maybe WMP
doesn't
accept the file type or the codec used to compress the file
(C00D1199:
file
can't be played)"

winamp doesn't play anything - skips the file

realplayer repeats wmp error.

other applications that shold play asf files (like games) don't play
them
but don't say any error.

Any idea?

  • Re: C00D11CD error when trying to open .mpg from "open URL" or fro
    ... Components" Then I am unchecking the Windows Media player option. ... I agree, it doesn't actually do an uninstall, but it pretends to. ... I don't know where to hide/show access to WMP, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: INSTALLATION OF MICROSOFT WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER (WMP 11 FINAL) CRASHES COMPUTER.
    ... Decided to re-install the WMP 11 and then ... windows media library") flashed on and afterwards, ... Reg Parser: Obtained value 'fhg' for attribute 'COMPONENTNAME'. ... ERROR: Reg Parser: Failed to add uninstall information from reg. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: One last plea for help!
    ... the uninstall have already been deleted. ... that is why you don't have the WMP ... Windows Media Player then downloaded and installed over top of Windows Media ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)
  • Re: Windows (all apps) cant play .asf files!!
    ... the problem is that wmp isn't very easy to uninstall... ... Ok, I have WMP10, and no: asf don't play in wmp2, nor real player, nor ... even applications that use asf files cant play them. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)
  • Re: WMP 10 Danger do not install !!!!!!!!
    ... I got on this board looking for a way to cleanly uninstall ... Media 10 and roll back to Media 9, ... nothing to do with WMP ... >> tried to install that, but I got the same message after ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)