Re: setup_wm.exe entry point not found

Yes, that error text will absolutely not be found in that log, sorry. It
doesn't get that granular, just provides some basic guidance. =)

Is "Error: " listed in c:\winnt\wmsetup.log anywhere?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"tell''em all" <tellemall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello. Sorry was gone for a while.

I found the wmsetup.log in my C:\WINNT folder. The file is 189KB's.

I did a search in this document for "The procedure entry point
GetUserGeoID
could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll" and was not
found. I also did a search for "GetUserGeoID" and was not found.

I recall on System 1, I updated Adobe Flash player and Shockwave Player.
think Shockwave player 10 is the last version for Windows 2000. The
players
were installed before executing the WMP 9 upgrade from the Windows
Updater.
Then the error appeared. On System 2, the image that I made in 2004 as a
backup, had an older Flash player and Shockwave Player installed from that
period. I did not update those players. I just concentrated on manually
installed WMP 6.4 and codecs. Then WMP 7.1 and Codecs(WMP9Codecs.exe).

Do you think that the Flash Player and/or Shockwave Player is connected?
Is
WMP integrating something from these player's. or they have nothing to do
with the error, being that the error was produced from the WMP update or
codecs?

During the Manual Windows Update detection, I don't recall if it installs
or
updates Abobe Flash Player or Shockwave Player (Question: Do web browser's
like Windows Explorer install this as a component?)

Note: When I say System 1 and System 2, I mean one physical PC with an
OS,
Apps etc. System 1 is the before configuration and System 2 is a
restored
image of the OS before I started adding applications on System 1.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

I'm incorrect: I haven't thought about Windows 2000 for some time and
haven't looked at these packages for ~5 years, sorry. =)

The "7.1 and newer" 9x codec package updates your system with the WMP10
codecs. It doesn't touch setup_wm.exe . None of the v10 codec dlls in
question import GetUserGeoID.
Nothing in the v9 package imports GetUserGeoID.

Is "Error: " listed in c:\windows\wmsetup.log anywhere? (wmsetup.log
might
be at c:\winnt instead.)
The question is who is trying to import this. Typically this error has
only
been seen on machines that had Windows 2000 installed over a different OS
without the drive being formatted, which results in DLL version
corruption.

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.
"tell''em all" <tellemall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Again, for WMP 7.1 codecs, I remembered the file name coded with 7.1.
Was
it safe to install WMP9Codecs.exe?

I don't believe you needed to.

What do you mean I don't need it? Starting from WMP 6.4, I was trying
install the player and codecs in order by the WMP'ers version. I don't
know
about each specific codec but thought I should install it to make WMP
more
functional and enhanced.

As to the version numbers.

I hope that using Windows Explorer was the correct method you expected
for
me to find the info. If it is'nt, then please tell me how.

Here goes. I used Windows Explorer, browsed to the location of the
files,
right clicked on the file, clicked properties, clicked the Version Tab
and
read the file version info. This is what I found:

System 1 w SP4 and WMP 9

Kernel32.dll [5.0.2195.7135]
Setup_wm.exe [9.0.0.2980]

System 2 w/SP2 and WMP 7.1

Kernel32.dll [5.0.2195.2778]
Setup_wm.exe [7.1.0.3055]

Both these systems after running the WMP9Codec.exe and running WMP9
Program
install, gave me the errors mentioned.

  • Re: Can not roll back to media player 10 from 11
    ... I used to get message that "windows validation tool will not work ... After that WMP stopped appearing in the "Add/remove programs". ... My first thought was that the Windows Install Clean Up utility might help, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • RE: Screensaver and games
    ... Video card and download the driver for your Video Card Specs. ... First just Run Windows Updates Engine on your computer and Install the ... You need to get the latest updates for your Macromedia player/flash player, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Can not roll back to media player 10 from 11
    ... My first thought was that the Windows Install Clean Up utility might help, ... but as I check mine WMP isn't listed in it at all. ... asks for windows validation. ...
    ... See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... When the media player asked me for validation I ... If I click ok then the windows open with the ... My first thought was that the Windows Install Clean Up utility ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Can not roll back to media player 10 from 11
    ... When the media player asked me for validation I used ... I think it would be very difficult to remove just the WMP 11 files ... each file is replaced by its previous version and Windows ... My first thought was that the Windows Install Clean Up utility might ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)