Re: Media player 11 won't play wmv files

No, it will not. You've just told him to corrupt his system in a way that doesn't repair itself. I hate to have to say this, but you're clearly guessing, and guessing badly and dangerously.

I'm not sure what your experience or knowledge in this sphere is. Mine is that I wrote most of this. =) This is why I know what's possible here - and what's not. =)

Thanks for understanding. =)

Happy holidays,
-Zach
--
Speaking for myself only.
"Mikeze" <mikezus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eSOKeJ0WJHA.1336@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If what I've suggested above is not applicable to Vista, you can also try some "brute force" way: delete the registry entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer" and reboot. The system should ask if you want to reinstall it. Just don't forget to save the registry key before deleting it.

"Mikeze" <mikezus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23oNiWtzWJHA.556@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, there must be a way to reinstall WMP...

I can't definitely remember is there something like "Add/Remove programs" Control Panel applet in Vista (and "Add/Remove Windows components" in it)?...

If not, try this: "Start -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs -> Windows Media Player -> Set this program as default and clicking OK"

"zachd [MSFT]" <zachd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:OzCpJiyWJHA.5052@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Naw, that's incorrect. Mikeze's suggestions are simply solely relevant upon XP and absolute not applicable to Vista. It has nothing to do with 'ever receiving an upgrade'. Those suggestions simply don't do anything on Vista. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.
"markeydsl" <markeydsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:CF1160A7-C5A1-42DA-B56F-FCC9A2DFF6D8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
As I found out, through some research there is a file located in the base
folder for WMP, however if you have ever received an upgrade you cannot
reinstall the program, since it is (with the update) viewed as newer and will
not reinstall.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

You cannot reinstall the player in any meaningful fashion upon Vista. =)

--
> There's no need to download it. Just reinstall WMP. Try searching > hard
> drive for setup_wm.exe. It's in "C:\Program Files\Windows Media > Player" by
> default in XP. Can't quite remember it's location on Vista > (obviously
> should be where the WMP is located).
>

> "markeydsl" <markeydsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Hello, I have run in to an issue. I have windows media player for >> Vista
>> version 11, which stoped playing wmv files as of yesterday, it >> appears
>> that
>> after a quicktime update, it will no longer recognize these files. >> I
>> uninstalled quicktime hoping this would fix the issue but it still >> won't
>> play
>> wmv files, and I get an error message saying "Windows Media Player >> cannot
>> play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might >> not
>> support the codec that was used to compress the file."
>>
>> This is impossible to deal with, in the past I solicited help from
>> microsoft, and the agent installed a ton of codec on my computer >> which
>> took
>> over control of everything on my computer using tons of RAM to run.
>> is it possible to download windows media player 11 for vista and
>> reinstall
>> the program? I as of yet have not been able to find a download for >> it.
>> If I could install the original program that would be helpful since >> I
>> think
>> it comes with its own codec that would allow it to play its own >> files.
>> It seem like a pain, but I would rather reinstall the program or >> replace
>> the
>> original codec, rather than install 3rd party codec that just take >> up
>> memory.
>> thank you

  • Re: WMP 11: I click and nothing! [Vista RANT]
    ... OEM version of Vista that came preinstalled on my notebook. ... the System restore disk that came with my Toshiba system indicate that to ... available to download for reinstall on the site for Windows Media Player 11 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Cannot uninstall / reinstall / repair WMP 11
    ... Sorry about that, running VISTA Ultimate x64 ... Speaking for myself only. ... See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... There is a more recent version of Windows Media Player ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: "Windows Media Player has stopped working"
    ... the seller had not specifically stated it would work with Vista, ... There is currently no reinstall for Windows Media Player for Windows ... this upgrade made it impossible to install the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: "Windows Media Player has stopped working"
    ... Seller was ch3bcd however this was probably a closeout since nothing similar ... the seller had not specifically stated it would work with Vista, ... There is currently no reinstall for Windows Media Player for Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: "Windows Media Player has stopped working"
    ... I already rated the seller as soon as I got the program to work and receive ... the seller had not specifically stated it would work with Vista, ... There is currently no reinstall for Windows Media Player for Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)