Re: Windows Vista Business SP1 x86 on HP ze4900 -Failed to play test t

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 06:25:01 -0800, Chinna122008
<Chinna122008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

Since installed Vista Business SP1 on my laptop, cann't hear anything and
play any video.

According to original spec, the driver is "Conexant CX20468-31 AC97".
Currently Device Manager showing sound,video and game controller as "Intel
(r) 82801DB/DBM AC'97 Audio Controller".

Guessing some vista security settings are blocking the audio and video.

That sounds unlikely, and it's odd you have a mismatch between the
audio driver and the one in device manager.

Laptop audio hardware is generally "fixed" as it's not replaceble,
unlike a desktop PC where it might be on an add-on card in the case.

I suppose it's possible you've also connected a USB sound device
separately to the laptop, and it's picked up a second device and set
of drivers ?

It's not obvious why both audio and video are affected.

I'd try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992 and each of the file
types there. It should help to narrow down which (if any) audio types
play, and help to find out what's common between them.

Can you hear *any* sounds at all in windows, such as the startup and
shutdown sound themes ? If not, it's worth checking to make sure the
sound isn't set to Mute in any of the sliders of windows Volume
Control.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2008