Re: Advanced Tag Editor - Why does it not work with some filetypes?

You're banging your head against a brick wall. WAV only has elementary
metadata support, and is not designed for your scenario, sorry.

This isn't going to work. If you want cool metadata functionality, you can
use WMA or MP3. WAV wasn't designed for that. Sorry. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
"PC Pete" <PCPete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
What I'm trying to do is to import all the WAV files from my existing
library, and "import" or "migrate" them (converting them on-the-fly into
another format) into the WMP library that I've tried to set up on a
separate
drive/path, so I can compare the various formats and so on.

I've just tried "importing" these music files (WAV format) into WMP11. It
finds the files fine, but seems to have real trouble dealing with or
managing
tags. I can't edit a single tag on any wav format file.

The filenames are all in Artist_Album_Track#_Track Title.wav format, and
I've set up the WMP library format to be the same.

But when I set up the Monitor Folders to my existing music files, while it
imports them all into the "new" library, it imports them as just a long
bunch
of filenames - in other words, it doesn't parse the filenames the way I
expect it to, and I just can't edit the tags for any file or combination
of
files - so all 9,000+ music files are listed as unknown artist/unknown
title,
and I just can't change that!

If WMP deals with MP3 tags using the "embedded" tag structure of the MP3
file format, and it deals with non-MP3 files using it's own internal db,
why
can't I edit the damn tags? It's driving me nuts!

So maybe I'm having two problems, not understanding how to get WMP to
convert my existing wav files into WMF lossless (or any other) format; and
then not being able to edit tags on existing files.

This is not an issue with file permissions, hidden or Read-Only files, or
user permissions. I can do anything I like to any file in WMP, except
convert
an existing file into another format or automatically or manually edit
tags
for those files.

If anyone could help point me in the right direction for either or both of
these (seemingly simple) problems, I'd very much appreciate it!

--
Data is not Information; Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not
Wisdom.

  • Re: Library - STILL cant add files to library
    ... WMP initally detected all media files in my comp and added them all into ... What is the format of your backed up files - WMA, MP3, AAC, etc? ... I would suspect corrupt ID3 tags or MP3 data next. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: WMP 11 Library does not add all wav files
    ... I converted a MP3 to WAV. ... In the library view I can edit all editable fields like album, artist, etc. ... As far as I could judge, WMP write the info in the library only, not in tags. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: tagging wav files
    ... I believe WMP11 supports reading RIFF metadata (WAV, ... See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... WAV files do not seem to support tags. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Importing iTunes Library to WMC 11
    ... Tagging in Wav is poorly supported and WMP is no exception to this rule. ... might help you to transfer the tags. ... A way of testing if iTunes puts the tags in the WAV files is to copy a WAV ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Advanced Tag Editor - Why does it not work with some filetypes
    ... See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... Zach, I understand the limitations of the WAV format, and I ... and so I can decide on the amount of audio contextual data ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)