Re: Screen Saver During Playback

Hi zachd,

Thanks for getting back to me. Well, maybe this is the way it has to be or
the way it works. I'd simply have to select the Power Management option for
Display to Never - power off and leave it at that so that when streaming
video comes through, it won't dim the display. It only seems to happen with
streaming video, because a DVD or an mpg file through WMP works fine. Also
with Windows Media Center, via On Line Spotlight, you can play Reuters, which
is streaming video and the display doesn't dim.

Thanks,
Roger

"zachd [ms]" wrote:

No, I'm not aware of any forum where anyone from Dave's team would respond
at this point. This is a peer-support only arena-
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#netiquette
, so typically you're not able to get technical support/developer advice
here. Power Management affects WMP, yes - I imagine if someone from one of
those teams said we needed to fix something, we would, but I'm not aware
that there's any outstanding complaints in this arena. I don't know if
there's a Power Management newsgroup or anything like that, but that'd be me
first stop. If not, suggest it to actual support.

I really have no data for you here at this point, so am going to stop
responding because hey: I'm not really saying interesting. =)

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

"Skier7667" <Skier7667@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi zachd,

Thanks for getting back to me. You mentioned Dave - is there another forum
that I should be posting this question where he might see it and shed some
light on this power management question. I posted it here because
naturally
the problem occurs in WMP, but I fully understand what you mean.

Let me know and I can try in a more appropiate forum.

Thanks,

Roger

"zachd [ms]" wrote:

I only have (5) desktops, no laptops, and they're all used for enough
critical work that I don't tinker with power management settings. I
don't
know anything about your issues in this sphere, and I'm also unaware of
anything that WMP is doing in this sphere (I don't think Dave's team does
much here, since WMP should just play the rules they set anyways). I
haven't played with Power Management at all and don't know if you have
the
ability to tune it to your whim. Sorry: way outside of my sphere of
knowledge at this point in time. I can help you with the Screen Saver
checkbox question that I was responding to, but the Power Management area
is
one I don't know about.

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)
rights.

"Skier7667" <Skier7667@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Zachd,

Yes, I didn't see any setting/options in WMP to control the screen from
powering down or dimming. However it appears no one has a concern with
this
issue, so how do others deal with this.

In other words, if the power management in Display/Screen
Saver/Power/Turn
Off Monitor is set to 20 minutes as in my case, which is the
default/normal
usage setting that is set (comes from the factory), for normal
operation
of
the PC and display and one plays a streaming video that lasts longer
than
the
selected time, how can one control the screen from not powering down.
Yes,
know one can select never, however for normal usage that defeats the
purpose
of the setting.

Does one have to keep on changing the Power Management setting each
time
after viewing the video? That would seem odd. Have you tried playing
streaming video and witnessed your experience?

They do have an option in WMP that allows the screen saver to either be
active or not be active while using the WMP. It's hard to fathom that
MS
would offer streaming video capabilities in WMP, but not offer some
control
for the dimming of the display while video is play and expect one not
have
any power managment features on.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

I'm unaware of any unique power management features within WMP - I do
not
believe you would be able to manage this internally in WMP.

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)
rights.
--
"Skier7667" <Skier7667@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi zachd,

Well, the problem I'm having is that if I am watching streaming
content,
XP
Media Center is dimming my display, hence the video is gone. The
content
keeps play, I can hear the audio. What I have to keep on doing is
either
moving my mouse slightly or depressing the volume +/- button on my
Microsoft
Media Center Remote. Then the video comes back on. This keeps on
happening
every 20 minutes. The only way around it seems to turn off power
management
for the monitor. That is a burden, since then after watching, I
would
have
turn it back on again each time.

What I don't understand is that the PC is not really inactive -
there
is
video playing which is using CPU cycles and there is audio as well.
can't
find any setting within Media Player that will allow it to play
without
this
interruption. I did find the check box that allows the screen player
be
turned On or Off during video playback and it was "Unchecked" - so
the
video
is not interrupted by the screen saver.

Is there a setting I'm missing here to allow the video to continue
display on the monitor without having to diable "Power Management"
for
the
monitor each time?

Thanks,

Roger

"zachd [ms]" wrote:

WMP's Tools:Options . You only get one global checkbox here,
though,
there's no specific audio/video option.

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)
rights.
--

"Skier7667" <Skier7667@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi Anger,

Where is this option to allow the screen saver to activate duing
playback
if
listening to music. Mine is coming on while watching a video
stream
in
Media
Player and it wasn't before. I believe something might have
changed.

Please let me know!
Thanks,
Roger

"Anger" wrote:

This option to Allow Sreen Saver during playback is nice if I'm
listening
music but if I'm watching a movie I don't want my screen saver
start.
don't know if this is the right way of going about this but
maybe
someone
out
there might know someone who can get this changed or modified to
exclude
the
screensaver during the playing of movies and allowing it during
music.
am
using Windows Media Player Version: 10.00.00.4036.
--
Anger

  • Re: Screen Saver During Playback
    ... there's a Power Management newsgroup or anything like that, ... Windows Media Development Team ... See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... the PC and display and one plays a streaming video that lasts longer ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Screen Saver During Playback
    ... the problem occurs in WMP, but I fully understand what you mean. ... critical work that I don't tinker with power management settings. ... I can help you with the Screen Saver ... the PC and display and one plays a streaming video that lasts longer than ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Screen Saver During Playback
    ... streaming video, because a DVD or an mpg file through WMP works fine. ... Power Management affects WMP, yes - I imagine if someone from one of ... I can help you with the Screen Saver ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Screen Saver During Playback
    ... critical work that I don't tinker with power management settings. ... since WMP should just play the rules they set anyways). ... I can help you with the Screen Saver ... the PC and display and one plays a streaming video that lasts longer than ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Screen Saver During Playback
    ... I'm unaware of any unique power management features within WMP - I do not ... Media Center is dimming my display, hence the video is gone. ... Where is this option to allow the screen saver to activate duing ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)