Re: no audio hardware is available. (Error=00040258)

From: Chris Lanier [MVP] (cal2002a_at_hotmail.NOSPAM.com)
Date: 07/19/04

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:12:08 -0500

Download the drivers from the maker of the sound device.

--
Chris Lanier
Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
"JohnF" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sound Problems
>
> I recently had to reload Windows 95 onto my computer and
> since then I have been unable to hear sounds using Windows
> Media Player v6.4.  The error I get is &#8220;Cannot play back
> the audio stream: no audio hardware is available.
> (Error=00040258)&#8221;
>
> I can still play .mid, .wav files and play CDs using
> Winamp etc.  However, after trying to play a Windows Media
> Player file I can no longer play .wav files and get the
> following error &#8220;MMSYSTEM004 The specified device is
> already in use.  Wait until it is free, then try again.&#8221;
>
> I have on-board audio.  I did not have the problem prior
> to reinstalling Windows.
>
> I have removed the audio device in Device Manager and then
> let Windows install the drivers again.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Video Error with Xbox 360 Extender
    ... - Did you check the Application, System, Media Center, and Security Event ... corresponding to the time that you tried to play TV? ... Is this a clean install of Windows Vista, an upgrade on top of Windows XP, ... "Video Error with Xbox 360" in particular look on this site and also ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: XP MCE and XBOX 360 Protected Content Issues
    ... deinstalled Media Center Extender and Media Center Connect from the MCE ... Then I rebooted MCE again. ... disconneted from Windows Media Center and Windows-based PC setting, ... This procedure added a few premium channels that play now thru the Extender, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Cant find media player on computer
    ... a cd in my computer to play I get a audio cd box that asks me if I want ... open folder to view files using windows explorer. ... when I go to find media player on my computer I can't find the file. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Audio problem software related
    ... I can play MP3s in WMP9. ... I can play audio CDs. ... Wav files run in WMP9, ... I have uninstalled all media programs except iTunes and Windows Media ...
  • Re: windows media player will not let me rip a cd
    ... analog audio cable is not connected. ... Properties:Settings dialog tab of your CD-ROM drive in Device Manager. ... I have Windows XP Media Center edition and Windows Media ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)