Re: Find serial number used

In article <C283750D.5561A%dross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Diane Ross <dross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I¹m forwarding this on from a user.

<quote>

We have 23 employees and 24 paid copies of Microsoft office.

I need to install Office for a 24th person, an intern, using our last
license.

But... Given that I've been moving computers around recently and using
Migration Assistant to move users around to different Macs, I've lost track
of which license is free not being used (meaning, I have all of the retail
Microsoft Office boxes and their respective serial #s, but don't know which
one is not being used).

I need to use the correct serial #, or Office gives me an error upon
start-up, because it can sense the same serial # being used on our LAN.

How can I figure out what serial # is used on which machine?

Is there a file I can open on each user machine to identify the number? Is
this a "get info" situation?

Again, we own enough licenses: I just want to be able to use them.
</quote>

You can't reverse the encoding of the Product ID and get the serial
number. I believe someone here mentioned that this may be a one-way hash
only.

Since you'll need to sit down at each machine anyway I would do this:

1. Make a list of which Mac gets which serial number. Just randomly
assign a serial number to each machine until you've associated them all.

2. Use the Remove Office application to -not- remove Office but remove
the licensing information. Have a look at this page on Microsoft's
website for instructions <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917381>.

3. Relaunch any Office application on the machine so that the Setup
Assistant asks you for new licensing information and enter the assigned
key.

Because you have 24 machines what would make this easier would be a
simple AppleScript. Copy the following two lines of code into the Script
Editor application found in /Applications/AppleScript and save as an
application (the first two lines are actually one line separated by a
space):

do shell script "rm /Applications/Microsoft\\ Office\\
2004/Office/OfficePID"

tell application "Microsoft Word" to activate

Put saved script on a thumb drive and visit each machine. You can
probably get them all done in under an hour.

Hope this helps! bill
--
William M. Smith
(Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows)

  • Re: Licensing problem
    ... I ran the script, and it worked fine. ... Microsoft MVP ... I'm using Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac ... not an academic volume license. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office)
  • Re: Licensing problem
    ... After running the script, you should get a message that says "Office 2004 ... Microsoft MVP ... I'm using Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac ... not an academic volume license. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office)
  • Re: Installing 2007 runtime app on Terminal Server 2003- issues?
    ... Are you certain that a client with no Office programs installed ... was that except for TS CALS and Citrix licenses that all other license ... Microsoft Office Standard 2007 and Microsoft Office ... The English/multilanguage version of the Microsoft Office suite ...
  • Re: Re-installing Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 200
    ... Susan Ramlet ... when I reinstall the Microsoft Office and activate ... >> One computer = one license. ... If I reinstall the software ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Licensing problem
    ... I'm using Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac ... Microsoft MVP ... unfortunately running that script does not seem to be the answer to my ... not an academic volume license. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office)