Re: Mac software on PC illegal???

In article <C0A9E789.186B9%m.bintener@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Michel Bintener <m.bintener@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, it is legal, that is if Microsoft actually states that you cannot use
Office:Mac on non-Apple hardware (see above). You don't pay for a program
per se, you actually pay for a license to use a program. And that license is
regulated by the EULA (end user license agreement), which lists a number of
things that you are/are not allowed to do. You can only start using software
after you've accepted the conditions of the EULA, and if you do not agree
with them in their entirety, I believe you can return the software and ask
for a refund.

Strange...but thanks for clearing it up.

That would mean that if the EULA states that I can only use a program
while standing on one foot with my right hand over one eye, then I could
be sued because I violated the EULA if both my feet touch the floor
while I am using the program? I bet lawyers would have a field day with
that!

And FWIW, I never read the EULA for any program I buy (I just click on
agree). After all, the store where I buy my software only takes back
purchases if they are still in the unopened box, and reading the EULA
requires opening the box, so if I disagreed with a EULA my only option
would be to attempt to return the software to the provider and ask for a
refund (good luck!...). And when I buy a new program (especially games),
I want to use the program, and not to have to consult my lawyer to tell
me if anything in the EULA fine print is against my politics, my
religion, or my preferences.

In an age where pirated versions of most programs are freely available
on the web before the programs hit the shelves, it seems to me that
EULAs as well as protection schemes are dinosaurs of the past whose only
function is to harrass conscientious buyers and to keep the lawyers of
program producers busy...

I recognize that your statements are your own opinions and may not
coincide with those of your employer - so are mine!

Henri

  • Re: Add Windows partition to existing Ubuntu Partition
    ... You pay for the license. ... The product key is just an artifact of the license, ... This is technically against the EULA, yes, but I'm told there is good ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Microsoft finally acknowledges the security drumbeats
    ... >> you'll have to pay me standard author's guild rates. ... > standard consulting rate. ... Unless of course you've disclaimed all that away in some kind of EULA. ... Proud Member of the Exclusive "I have been plonked by Davee because he ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Microsoft finally acknowledges the security drumbeats
    ... >> you'll have to pay me standard author's guild rates. ... > standard consulting rate. ... Unless of course you've disclaimed all that away in some kind of EULA. ... Proud Member of the Exclusive "I have been plonked by Davee because he ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Restore OEM license to original machine?
    ... some bills online before leaving for vacation so in a panic I threw the HDD ... computer to a point where I could get online to pay the bills. ... Pro OEM copy for, is POSTing fine and ready for action. ... this comply with the EULA? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Legitimate D4 copy
    ... > part of the EULA hasn't been tossed by the courts in your ... European legislation. ... limitations that might reduce the value of the product to ... Meaning that if you pay for a product first and then, ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)