Re: find and (sort of) replace graphics / equations Word 2004

Thanks Bob! I really don't know much about MathType.
Unfortunately for our process, this may not work, but it will come in
handy for the future.

Is there a way to update all the equations in a document to a new
format? Having the font be 12 pt instead of 10, for example?

We have this very convoluted process that was designed by one of our
programmers who no longer works in our department.
It involves taking Word docs and applying specific styles. Every
image, photo, graph, equation, etc. has at least three "styles"
applied to it, for example, image center for the image, then alt text,
then image file name. In a math course (such as the one I'm working
on) there might be 200-300 equations per chapter.

Our process is:

Word Docs with styles
Using Framemaker, the docs are converted to structered format, then
output as xml
The xml files have several PERL scripts run (at least 6) to convert
the content for use on the web
Then we go back to the xml docs in Framemaker and output them as fm
docs to produce a print version of the content, running a few
Applescripts along the way.

If <b>one</b> character is stylized wrong, the whole process breaks
down. And the resulting web and print products still need a lot of
format cleanup by hand before they are done.

That's the quick overview of this thing. It's very convoluted and
messy, and we are tied to it, because if we don't use this process,
the two years the programmer took to come up with it "will have been
wasted."

I would like to be able to output directly from Word to the web, but
no one wants to do that because it produces, supposedly, "garbage
code." I don't know enough about the web side to say if that is so or
not.

Anyway, that's what we do.

Thanks again for the advice on MathType.

  • Re: Sane Syntax
    ... vital role in the future of TeX but we need some more human friendly ... Generating well formed LaTeX2e documents from XML ... Another approach is to convert existing documents to XML format and go ... TEI, together with DocBook, are the two ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: XHTML vs HTML
    ... to be the predominant type of HTML used on the web for many years yet. ... First, it is XML. ... XHTML is also ... transformed using XSL from and into virtually *any* other data format. ...
  • Re: text to bibliography?
    ... to xml: you can store binary data in an xml file. ... including your well-formattedbibliography(no longer in xml format). ... It is in annotated bibliographies (something Word 2007 does not ... that %I is actually the field representing the publisher. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Future of LISP. Alternative to XML. Web 3.0?
    ... using s-expressions instead of XML, nobody is going to use it, ... because it's cheaper to keep the existing XML software and continue ... XML-MAIDEN format or to HTML format and next displayed via standard ... or a CanonML or LISP browser. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Data table text I/O package?
    ... It has bracketing: rows and columns. ... As a medium XML is as awful as readable. ... > tell you not to use an internal type when it suits your application. ... is irrelevant to the data format used. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)