Pages '08 opens Word 2007 documents

All,

As reported on:

http://www.tuaw.com/category/iwork/

For anyone who hasn't been following, the background is: [Windows] Office
2007 introduced a new file format, Office Open XML, which Office 2004 for
the Mac doesn't support. Until the release of Pages '08 this week, you
couldn't open Word 2007 [for Windows] documents on the Mac unless you used
the beta converter at www.mactopia.com (see "Quick downloads" column at
right) or bought the latest version of MacLink Plus (www.dataviz.com).

I don't know how successfully Pages '08 converts the more complex types of
Word formatting. And I don't know how well it subsequently allows you to
export to Word 2004.

One catch: the Apple site says iWork needs OS 10.4.10 and QuickTime 7.2
(which have not been without their share of problems for some users of
Microsoft Office). A [possible] slight variation:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q3.07/3242B18C-E737-49E7-9EA0-D8C4
F0C633C4.html reports "Mac OS X 10.4.9 Tiger and QuickTime 7.2 required".

Anyone have more details/clarifications/conclusions?

Cheers,

Clive Huggan
Canberra, Australia
(My time zone is 5-11 hours different from North America and Europe, so my
follow-on responses to those regions can be delayed)
Avoid long delays before your post appears -- use Entourage or newsreader
software -- see http://word.mvps.org/Mac/AccessNewsgroups.html

  • Re: Compatability
    ... The file format has changed with the last versions of Windows and Mac ... But unless that destination computer has Windows Office 2007 or Mac Office ... The compatibility options operate regardless of the file format, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: JPGs from PC wont display on Mac
    ... saving out as a ppt file format. ... Does the JPG open up ok when you insert it directly into Mac Powerpoint? ... the problem is in the conversion from Windows to Mac. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.powerpoint)
  • Re: Pages 08 opens Word 2007 documents
    ... 2007 introduced a new file format, Office Open XML, which Office 2004 for ... the Mac doesn't support. ... I tend to update my system software as soon as possible, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Cant get video via MSMPlayer from site...
    ... I've got the latest Mac system 10.3.7 and Media Player for Windows 9. ... The file format is invalid" ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player.mac)
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... then install Windows on it as well so that you can have all your Windows ... so I just don't have the motivation to use a Mac. ... The old fashioned MS-DOS text file format insisted on ... There are any number of end-of-line converters available, ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)