Re: Wandering Lines

Cheryl:

Microsoft Word is like a pimply teenager that wears its hat backwards and
plays music too loud. One of you is going to be in charge. Your life will
improve a lot if you decide that it's going to be you.

Being scared of it is not appropriate: other people won't help you if you're
too scared to try things. They will make life "simpler" for you -- they
will write your book for you, sell it for you, and take the money for you,
and put it in their bank where you don't have to worry about it :-) You may
decide that this is not going to help YOU :-)

A Style is simply a name given to a collection of formatting.

Look at your document and mentally divide it into "Kinds" of paragraphs.
You have a kind named "Headings", you have a kind named header, you have a
kind named footer, you have a kind named "body text". You will find that
Word already has styles named after the kinds of paragraphs that crop up in
the vast majority of documents. Customise the styles so the formatting of
each kind of paragraph is the way you want it.

Use the same style names for each of your documents, but use different
templates to set the formatting of the whole collection of styles for each
kind of document. You might have a template named "Book" and one named
"Report" and one named "Letter" -- get the idea? Name things after what
they ARE -- what you use them for.

And be careful of "Normal". Normal anything in Word is Microsoft Euphemism
for "Buggered if I know..." Try not to use Normal for anything unless
you're forced to do so.

There: Now you know everything you need to about styles, get into it... In
a week's time, you'll wonder why you ever did it any other way... You think
I'm joking, don't you?? I'm not!

Cheers

On 18/11/06 2:35 AM, in article
1163777732.910348.168780@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "writerwoman"