Re: "Out of memory" error in Word 2004 opening Windows .rtf file

Hi:

OK, that all makes sense. RTF is a good policy when you are sending stuff
off into "the void" because it was specifically invented by Microsoft to
enable its applications to exchange fully-formatted documents with ANY other
applications.

That said, Bob and Elliot are correct, if you use RTF you will always find
"something" that won't round-trip correctly (and you just did ...)

RTF is built on the premise that the receiving application should interpret
what it can and ignore the rest. The originating application should encode
what it can. And leave any code it doesn't understand unchanged in the file.
This causes RTF to degrade "gracefully".

PC Word RTF is now two levels ahead of Mac Word RTF, so there are things PC
Word can put in a file that Mac Word can't interpret. However, they should
not cause errors, Mac Word should simply ignore them.

Bob and Elliott are correct that "Out of memory" in this case usually means
"The converter I am looking for is not in memory" which usually is because
it's not even installed :-) Likely suspects in an Academic environment are
vector graphics such as Visio, bits of MathType or possibly scrunched
EndNotes.

Cheers

On 21/10/06 6:37 AM, in article
1161376643.375871.302050@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "tharpold@xxxxxxx"