Re: Diacretic marks in Word

Dear ALL!! Got it sorted. Rather slow on the uptake I fear - simply
go to System Preferences > International > Input Menus and select the
language required, to add to whatever one already has open - in my case
English and Greek (polytonic). A small national flag icon is added to
the relevant drop-down menu operated from the menus bar - at top
(right) of screen.

The only problem I have now is, as has been for sometime, in Word, the
Keyboard Viewer will only display English (US), regardles of the input
menu displayed. Still not to worry. I've found that if I also have
Text Edit facility open I have only to click in it and the Keyboard
Viewer reflects the Input Menu selected. This allows me to work out
which key(s) to strike if it is only the one character that is
required, or type a whole word, phrase or sentence in Text Edit, then
cut and paste into the Word document - a bit clumsy and I wish there
was a way of getting Word to cooperate with the Keyboard Viewer; but
I've asked for help on that before and there doesn't seem to be a way
around it. May be in some future edition of Office?!

Thanks once again to all.

GridLok wrote:
Thanks CyberTaz. Yes I'm familiar with all the character/accent marks
available in the Word help options. Unfortunately they do not have
some that are used in the English transliteration of Slavic words (a
person's surname in this case). I've just looked under European
scripts in the Character Palette and there aren't any. Any idea how
they can be obtained?

CyberTaz wrote:
I think Chris' suggestion may not have been as clear as intended - go into
*Word* Help, search using the keyword [accent] & the first result should
give you everything you want.

Searching *Mac* Help for [accent] will yield the results as Chris indicated.
The information is very much the same, but Word Help gives you a list which
some find easier to work from. If using the Character Palette it isn't a
matter of locating the diacritic but locating the character *combined* with
the diacritic.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 10/1/06 9:26 AM, in article
1159709216.295337.20630@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "GridLok"
<candlesque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks micki & Chris. Yes, I know how to use the character palette,
but not how to combine the mark with the relevant letter i.e. get the
chosen diacritic (or whatever) to sit over the top of the letter to
which it relates. Any ideas?

micki wrote:
GridLok wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to apply diacretic marks to letters when
spelling words from a non-English language. I recently had to us some
names that had a mark like a small 'v' over some letters, but I
couldn't work out how to put them there

I believe it is "diacritic"...go to the menu >'insert">"symbols" and
you should have a choice under symbols tab, perhaps in the font you are
using, or go to the 'Special Characters' tab in same window and you
might be able to find something.


Relevant Pages

  • Re: A note on computing thugs and coding bums
    ... It would handle international characters if the execution character ... method I used in "Build Your Own .Net Language and Compiler". ... work areas and counting on Nul is an illusion. ...
  • Re: what does "serialization" mean?
    ... Sorry eddie, but you're dead wrong there as usual. ... >>How about ASCII character 0xB0, ... > Totalitarians and Fascists are often self-appointed language police. ...
  • Thunderbird bugs [was: lots of other topics]
    ... Question marks are very, very specific thing and has very, very specific cause - written down in my previous e-mail - or in my Outlook Express instruction (same issue in Thunderbird and OE): ... interest in non-ASCII character sets comes partly from the fact that I ... It's a problem because the web browser designers ... specify a language at the sending end and a preferred language at the ...
  • Re: The linf project
    ... except in character literals. ... A language needs clarity, succinctness, ... you *could* say that no continuation is allowed. ... A simple language should have only one of these features. ...
  • Re: C++ vs C
    ... The three char types are both character types and narrow integer types. ... We are stuck with many questionable design choices in C that are now hard to change. ... The standard has no requirements for optional warnings. ... IMHO, allowing such a mix of declaration types in one statement is a design flaw in the language, and I would like the compiler to flag it regardless of the placement of the *. ...