Re: Diacretic marks in Word

Dear ALL!! Got it sorted. Rather slow on the uptake I fear - simply
go to System Preferences > International > Input Menus and select the
language required, to add to whatever one already has open - in my case
English and Greek (polytonic). A small national flag icon is added to
the relevant drop-down menu operated from the menus bar - at top
(right) of screen.

The only problem I have now is, as has been for sometime, in Word, the
Keyboard Viewer will only display English (US), regardles of the input
menu displayed. Still not to worry. I've found that if I also have
Text Edit facility open I have only to click in it and the Keyboard
Viewer reflects the Input Menu selected. This allows me to work out
which key(s) to strike if it is only the one character that is
required, or type a whole word, phrase or sentence in Text Edit, then
cut and paste into the Word document - a bit clumsy and I wish there
was a way of getting Word to cooperate with the Keyboard Viewer; but
I've asked for help on that before and there doesn't seem to be a way
around it. May be in some future edition of Office?!

Thanks once again to all.

GridLok wrote:
Thanks CyberTaz. Yes I'm familiar with all the character/accent marks
available in the Word help options. Unfortunately they do not have
some that are used in the English transliteration of Slavic words (a
person's surname in this case). I've just looked under European
scripts in the Character Palette and there aren't any. Any idea how
they can be obtained?

CyberTaz wrote:
I think Chris' suggestion may not have been as clear as intended - go into
*Word* Help, search using the keyword [accent] & the first result should
give you everything you want.

Searching *Mac* Help for [accent] will yield the results as Chris indicated.
The information is very much the same, but Word Help gives you a list which
some find easier to work from. If using the Character Palette it isn't a
matter of locating the diacritic but locating the character *combined* with
the diacritic.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac