Re: restoring deleted fonts

Hello, Clive,

Thank you for the link to your article.

My concern about the deleted Asian fonts is that they apparently serve
some important non-font functions. Someone published a list of
Microsoft Word fonts that one must NEVER delete--and they were all the
ones I deleted, precisely because most are Asian fonts and I, quite
reasonably, did not expect ever to use Asian fonts. Only later did I
find out that these do other things besides act as fonts.

It must be nearly spring in Australia?

Erin

Clive Huggan wrote:
Hello Erin,

You might like to consider formatting with styles. That way the font is
applied as a consequence of the style, and you don't need to use the Font
menu. As a consequence, I almost never use that Font menu.

For more information on styles, check Word's Help or read the section on
styles in some notes on the way I use Word for the Mac, titled "Bend Word to
Your Will", which are available as a free download from the Word MVPs'
website (http://word.mvps.org/Mac/Bend/BendWordToYourWill.html).

[Note: "Bend Word to your will" is designed to be used electronically and
most subjects are self-contained dictionary-style entries. If you decide to
read more widely than the item I've referred to, it's important to read the
front end of the document -- especially pages 3 and 5 -- so you can select
some Word settings that will allow you to use the document effectively.]

Otherwise, try keying Command-d, then key the first letter of the font you
want to apply (e.g., "v" if you want Verdana). That's usually quicker.

Cheers,

Clive Huggan
Canberra, Australia
(My time zone is 5-11 hours different from the US and Europe, so my
follow-on responses to those regions can be delayed)

On 2/9/06 9:49 AM, in article
1157154587.685834.105670@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,