Re: How to Convert a Postscript Document to a Word Document

On 2006-06-18 15:46:19 +0100, "Phillip M. Jones, CE.T." <pjones@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Chris Ridd wrote:
On 2006-06-18 14:13:36 +0100, "Douglas McKibbin" <Dougl58492@xxxxxxx> said:

How can I convert a postscript document to Word? I need to be able to
open the document and edit it .... something I cannot do in Preview (
OSX 10.4.6)

Convert it to PDF, and attempt to edit the pages of the PDF using things like Illustrator, or Acrobat (the commercial version). Forget Word for this job.

The reason your idea won't work is that a Postscript document is a program that when run (for example by a printer, or by Preview.app) produces as a side-effect a number of pages with marks on them. There's no guarantee the text on the page will be inside the Postscript file in any particular order. There's not even the notion of paragraphs or sentences or words in Postscript!

If you've got significant changes to make (like text to add or delete) then you will probably have to recreate the document. Very simple changes (like changing a letter) are possible in the commercial version of Acrobat etc.

Cheers,

Chris

Actually, Acrobat Pro 7.05 and up will allow you to save the file as a Word Document.

I just took a look at www.adobe.com and couldn't see them listing a feature like that. What're they calling it?

If it works, then it sounds like just what the OP needs!

Cheers,

Chris

  • Re: How to Convert a Postscript Document to a Word Document
    ... Preview only saves as various graphics formats (tiff, ... How to Convert a Postscript Document to a Word Document ... Preview can conveert the PS document to PDF. ... It's simply called "Acrobat" these days. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: How to Convert a Postscript Document to a Word Document
    ... Drop the .PS file on Acrobat or Distiller Acrobat or distiller converts to to a PDF. ... Now open the newly created Word document and and replace all line feeds with spaces except that end in periods or are at end of Paragraphs. ... Now you can edit at will and resave as PS or PDF. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Sharepoint services and PDF
    ... > opposite the document name the option to "Edit in Adobe ... > Acrobat Pro" isn't listed (although yes, the doc does open in Acrobat if ... >> If I click on a pdf in companyweb, it opens on my workstation in Acrobat ... >>> Have SBS2003 with WSS configured to index PDF files via Adobe's ifilter ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: vba printout to pdf file
    ... The postscript file can be converted to pdf ... When you print to either of these drivers, Acrobat automatically creates a PDF ... Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.office.developer.vba)
  • Re: How to Convert a Postscript Document to a Word Document
    ... Preview can conveert the PS document to PDF. ... It's simply called "Acrobat" these days. ... What you will get is a file that Word can edit, ... The reason your idea won't work is that a Postscript document is a ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)