Re: Search and Replace wildcards problem

From: Bill Planey (mac.info_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: 03/12/05

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:47:32 -0600

Unfortunately, the originator of the document is not someone I am allowed to
contact directly in this project. I have already gone through, replacing
one at a time instead of Replacing All.

BTW, are there other such characters that flake out this way? In other
words, what others might I check for that should be something else?

Thanks!
Bill Planey

On 3/11/05 5:28 PM, in article
BE5874E1.D7DE%REMOVETHISoffice@ANDTHISstrategists.com.au, "Clive Huggan"
<REMOVETHISoffice@ANDTHISstrategists.com.au> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> This is in case your problem occurs in future, assuming you are now applying
> Daiya's fix:
>
> Years ago, this was a constant problem, but not any more. You should not be
> experiencing this -- I send/receive to/from PCs all the time and never have
> the problem, nor should, because Word files have been the same on both
> platforms since Word 97/98 (i.e., there is no "translation").
>
> The problem is pilot error -- someone has jiggled with the settings or is
> saving in a non-default format. Get someone else with a PC to send you a
> doc; does the problem persist? Yes? -- probably the sender's settings. No?
> Probably yours.
>
> To help you further, we would need details of your OS and Word version, and
> ditto the other party's.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Clive Huggan
> Canberra, Australia
> (My time zone is at least 5 hours different from the US and Europe, so my
> follow-on responses to those regions can be delayed)
>
> * WAIT FOR CONSIDERED ADVICE: If you post a question, keep re-visiting the
> newsgroup for several days after the first response comes in. Sometimes it
> takes a few responses before the best or complete solution is proposed;
> sometimes you'll be asked for further information so that a better answer
> can be provided. Good tips about getting the best out of posting are at
> http://word.mvps.org/FindHelp/Posting.htm (if you use Safari and it gives
> you a blank page the first time, you may need to hit the circular arrow icon
> -- "Reload the current page" -- a few times).

> On 12/3/05 9:23 AM, in article BE575A4D.20314%daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID,
> "Daiya Mitchell" <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:
>
>> The @ presumably always has a blank space following it. To Find "@ ", I
>> don't think you need any special codes. Just Find and Replace it with the
>> quotation mark, space. You can type the space right in, it just doesn't show
>> up.
>>
>> To find the A in ADocument Name will be a little trickier. What version of
>> Word are you in? What factors are consistent that you might be able to
>> search for? E.g., will it always be two capitals in a row? Alternatively,
>> just search for " A" and don't use Replace All.
>>
>> By the way, I've sent curly quotes from Mac to Mac and they've not survived.
>> Zipping the attachment might help, I don't quite remember.
>>

>> On 3/11/05 8:31 AM, "Bill Planey" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a document that came from Windows and I'm on a Mac. Apparently, the
>>> curly quotes didn't survive the "translation" and I am left with other
>>> characters that I need to find and change. The leading quote mark was
>>> changed to "A" and the trailing was changed to "@"...
>>>
>>> So that, for example, the original:
>>>
>>> "Document Name"
>>>
>>> was rendered as
>>>
>>> ADocument Name@

> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Office X versus Office 2004
    ... Craig Eisler, General Manager of Microsoft's Mac Business ... unique Mac features, it will prove to have some clever features that are ... re-visiting the newsgroup for several days after the first response comes ... Sometimes it takes a few responses before the best or complete answer is ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Mac OS X 10.5.8 and YouTube website...
    ... My Mac Plus works fine, ... replacing capacitors - and a few semiconductors for safety's sake. ... The iBook, for example, died due to a known design fault which Apple ... It needed the logic board and CPU modules replaced *THREE TIMES* ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: SBS 2003 server gets new motherboard and NIC mac address change
    ... Are you saying your SBS NIC has the 169.x.x.x IP address? ... Did you rerun CEICW after replacing your NIC? ... > All of a sudden the XP Pro clients cannto get an IP address from DHCP. ... > NIC is set the same but the Mac address has changed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: OS X Dictionary - so many inaccuracies
    ... Is there a way of replacing the old Dictionary ... set of criteria for acceptance. ... If a word comes into common ... Perhaps Merriam-Webster has a Mac version of their software? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: OS X Dictionary - so many inaccuracies
    ... Maybe there is a way of just replacing the OS X dictionary data with something else? ... Words not yet generally accepted into the various editions of the OED on the Mac may be found in alternate lexicons. ... The OED has a fair, but strict, set of criteria for acceptance. ... If a word comes into common enough use that there is record of it being used consistently for a few years, with examples in print, it may very well end up in the dictionary. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)