Re: Difference between PPT and PPTX Files?

Roland,

The "X" in the "PPTX" file extension stands for XML, or rather Open XML, the
standard which Office 2008 for Mac (and also Office 2007 for Windows) now
uses. It's not compatible with earlier versions of Office. As I understand
it, the advantages are supposed to be smaller file sizes and more reliable
storage of data.

You can still save your files in the old PPT format if you like. The only
catch is that PowerPoint 2004 and earlier may not be able to use some of the
features you might have used in your PowerPoint 2008 file. If you're not
going to be sharing files with anyone, it's probably best just to stick with
the PPTX format. But if you find that the PPTX format isn't your cup of tea,
go to PowerPoint - Preferences - Save, and change the default file format
for saving PowerPoint files.

Jeff

On 08/10/20 8:17, in article
e3d8b624-ae8d-426b-8b22-bb9638a3e1b7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "qquito"
<qquito@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Everyone:

I am using the Power Pointer (Version 12.1.1) that came along with my
new Mac OS X (Version 10.5.4). And I just noticed that it
automatically saved my newly edited presentation as an PPTX file
instead of the more familiar PPT file. One surprise was that the file
size is much larger than I had expected. Later, I also noticed that it
also automatically saved a PPT copy with a different slide background
which I previously used.

So what is the difference between PPT and PPTX? Why the PPTX? What are
the advantages and new features of an PPTX file?

Thank you for reading and replying!

--Roland

  • Re: OS X Lion - breakdown of features, changes - appleinsider
    ... I, personally, have PowerPoint files, both PPT and PPTX, which PowerPoint 2004 will open, as I've installed the XML reader thingie from Microsoft's site... ... When the PPTX format came out we did comparative testing of round-trip edits using various platforms / softwares, and found that the worst possible route was PPT to PPTX to PPT via MSO2008 - not only was it insanely slow to migrate the ppt to pptx, but the migration broke templates, which were even more broken on the return trip. ... At that time Keynote did a much better job of migrating PPT files, was much cheaper and ran more quickly. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: OS X Lion - breakdown of features, changes - appleinsider
    ... I, personally, have PowerPoint files, both PPT and PPTX, ... PPTX format came out we did comparative testing of round-trip ... At that time Keynote did a much better job of migrating PPT ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • How can I find "binary tags" in a .PPT file using PPT 2007?
    ... I'm running PowerPoint on Windows XP SP3, ... I've opened a .PPT file, and would like to save it as a .PPTX. ... The popup message states that the offending objects will be deleted from the ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: PowerPoint 2007 Converters
    ... What's new in PPT 2007? ... PowerPoint XP & Excel XP: The 2007 'Save As Types' are not displayed. ... (DOCX, XLSX, PPTX) ... But it does open the file just fine, and it also opens if I ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Can not open a ppt file
    ... The file was saved in the .pptx format then someone edited the extension to ... i can't seem to open this particular PPT file that was emailed to me ... because it was produced in PowerPoint 2008 and i'm trying to open it in 2004? ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.powerpoint)