PowerPoint encountered an error and needs to quit when opening exported Keynote presentation

Version: 2008
Processor: intel

I have attempted to export my Keynote presentations to PowerPoint, but when I open these files in PowerPoint I get the error message:

"PowerPoint encountered an error and needs
to quit.To save a copy of the current prsentation, on the File menu, click Save As and give the document a new name.Save any other open presentations, and then quit and reopen PowerPoint."

I am running the Office 2008 12.1.0 and Keynote 08 (v4.0.3).

I have read on other forums that deleting all the presenter notes results in the presentation opening successfully. I use presenter notes heavily and this is not a satisfactory answer.

Observations:
Exported presentation is opened and viewed fine in Windows PowerPoint Viewer (on Vista), Open Office (on Windows) and Google (when I email it to myself, I can click 'view presentation' and it displays correctly). Because the file seems to work in older versions of PowerPoint as well as competing products I am lead to believe it is a problem with PowerPoint 08 for Mac.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I was surprised to find so few discussions about it, but the discussions I did find matched my situation exactly.

  • Re: Powerpoint 2007 cannot load the add ons
    ... "Steve Rindsberg" wrote: ... do this if it gets rid of the error message. ... What about PowerPoint 2007 / Office 2007? ... Not in the case of the PPTools add-ins; I can speak to the others. ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Powerpoint 2007 cannot load the add ons
    ... I still get the error message that Power Point cannot load the add ins. ... "Steve Rindsberg" wrote: ... What about PowerPoint 2007 / Office 2007? ... Not in the case of the PPTools add-ins; I can speak to the others. ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Powerpoint 2007 cannot load the add ons
    ... ins button on the ribbon. ... do this if it gets rid of the error message. ... What about PowerPoint 2007 / Office 2007? ... Not in the case of the PPTools add-ins; I can speak to the others. ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Powerpoint 2007 cannot load the add ons
    ... the error message at the opening of PP. ... "Steve Rindsberg" wrote: ... Office button, PowerPoint Options, Add-Ins you will be able to see which ... none seem to tell me what .ppa files I am expected to see with 2007? ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Problems with PowerPoint & .swf files
    ... Office 2004 and I get the same error message. ... and QuickTime (with Flash enabled) and none of the Intel Macs work. ... Powerpoint 11.3.2, Quicktime 7.1.3. ... the .swf files do play in the QT Player. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.powerpoint)