PowerPoint encountered an error and needs to quit when opening exported Keynote presentation

Version: 2008
Processor: intel

I have attempted to export my Keynote presentations to PowerPoint, but when I open these files in PowerPoint I get the error message:

"PowerPoint encountered an error and needs
to quit.To save a copy of the current prsentation, on the File menu, click Save As and give the document a new name.Save any other open presentations, and then quit and reopen PowerPoint."

I am running the Office 2008 12.1.0 and Keynote 08 (v4.0.3).

I have read on other forums that deleting all the presenter notes results in the presentation opening successfully. I use presenter notes heavily and this is not a satisfactory answer.

Observations:
Exported presentation is opened and viewed fine in Windows PowerPoint Viewer (on Vista), Open Office (on Windows) and Google (when I email it to myself, I can click 'view presentation' and it displays correctly). Because the file seems to work in older versions of PowerPoint as well as competing products I am lead to believe it is a problem with PowerPoint 08 for Mac.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I was surprised to find so few discussions about it, but the discussions I did find matched my situation exactly.

  • Re: Powerpoint 2007 cannot load the add ons
    ... "Steve Rindsberg" wrote: ... do this if it gets rid of the error message. ... What about PowerPoint 2007 / Office 2007? ... Not in the case of the PPTools add-ins; I can speak to the others. ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Powerpoint 2007 cannot load the add ons
    ... I still get the error message that Power Point cannot load the add ins. ... "Steve Rindsberg" wrote: ... What about PowerPoint 2007 / Office 2007? ... Not in the case of the PPTools add-ins; I can speak to the others. ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Powerpoint 2007 cannot load the add ons
    ... ins button on the ribbon. ... do this if it gets rid of the error message. ... What about PowerPoint 2007 / Office 2007? ... Not in the case of the PPTools add-ins; I can speak to the others. ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Powerpoint 2007 cannot load the add ons
    ... the error message at the opening of PP. ... "Steve Rindsberg" wrote: ... Office button, PowerPoint Options, Add-Ins you will be able to see which ... none seem to tell me what .ppa files I am expected to see with 2007? ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: cannot insert/play .avi file or any movie files
    ... Do you have any idea what codec is being used to compress the file? ... Solutions to Multimedia in PowerPoint www.pfcmedia.com ... > the AVI file from the same location, desktop> I get an error message. ... > - installed Codec Installation Packages ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)