Re: Basic Newbie Question

the only setup i seem to be able to access is 'file > page setup'
which for 'on screen show' lists 10"w x 7.5"h. the screen on my mac is
11.25"w x 7"h & 1280x800. this gives me a dpi of about 113.

so i would assume that exceeded this resolution would be a waste, as
the program and projector are trying to project a 10"x7.5" image @
113dpi.

Not exactly. The program will fill your current video display with the slide,
so the image it creates will be 1280x800 (or the letterboxed equivalent) and
that's what the computer will send to the projector, which'll reduce it to
whatever its max capability is.

Best practice: find out what the projector can do, set your computer's video
display to match that, and your full frame images should be at that same size
or at most a few percent larger.

or is the projection size independent, in which case (theorertically)
if my scanned images are at a higher resolution i could project
further away without losing any quality?

Nope. The same image (ie, same number of pixels, = your current video display
setting) just gets blown up bigger.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

  • Re: Why zoom is out-of-control when connected to overhead projecto
    ... Your suggestion to hook up the projector and then boot up the computer ... resolution is quite common, and could be unsettling if you are not expecting ... fixing -- Presenter just needs to expect it... ... Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: creating personalized screen resolutions for a proyector on 16:9
    ... screen resolution to mach the proyection canvas ... touch screens (at least in windows mobile). ... Ensure that the new projector can project 16:9 images in the resolution you want by reading the manual and finding out how to set the projector to do so if it does not automatically accept the change from the computer. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Pro film dropping faster then consumer
    ... or their distance from the screen/contact print. ... I think 4K is the limit of reasonable resolution, in that any more will either look soft, or contain detail information so small that 90% of the audience will not see it. ... I think I mentioned this previously, while the projector cost is one issue, the person running a digital projector needs to be more highly skilled than someone running a film projector. ...
    (rec.photo.equipment.35mm)
  • Re: Powerpoint 2000 question about monitor and projector resolution
    ... Just set your laptop resolution to match the projector resolution - ... I don't think you can include random transitions, ... Geetesh Bajaj, Microsoft PowerPoint MVP ... I don't know the resolution of the projector that the church has. ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)
  • Re: Resolution
    ... My portable projector will not show higher resolution via ... screen if I use the computer to projector cable arrangement. ... upgraded to PowerPoint 2003. ... Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.powerpoint)