XY scatter chart - data points don't align properly on X axis

I tried to create a simple XY scatter chart where the vertical axis
represented the cost per gallon of gas and the horizontal axis showed each
month for 2008. (Although I thought this type of chart would be considered a
line chart, Excel considered this to be a scatter chart.)

Though I wanted each month to be displayed, beginning with January and
ending with December, the X axis on the graph reads:
Nov-07, Jan-08, Feb-08, Apr-08, Jun-08, Jul-08, Sep-08, Oct-08, Dec-08.
March, May, August, and October are omitted. Although all 12 data points
appear on the graph, none of the data points are aligned with the proper
month.

Additionally, when I tried to display a chart showing monthly prices going
back 20 years, all the data points were displayed in one big clump, rather
than being spaced out over the 20 years. I had expected to see 240 data
points.

I would greatly appreciate any help in solving these 2 problems.
wtokyo

  • Re: Graphing points to the 10^-19
    ... I had no trouble getting a chart with your data. ... When editing the y axis the minimum value on automatic is 0 and the ... values but the number still doesn't display and excel automatically ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.charting)
  • Re: xy scatter x axis
    ... Stay with the XY Scatter chart. ... Position the labels to be below the series. ... > the x axis, shows different numbers, ie. 0, 5000, etc. ... With an XY Scatter chart, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.charting)
  • Re: 3-axis charts
    ... It's to display a concept, not the results of a data analysis. ... Axis 2 - populations of interest ... If I could get the chart going, I expect I'd quickly understand what ... like Rubik's cube. ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • RE: Scatter Chart x axis as Date "MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS:MM"
    ... "Pavr1" wrote: ... I've done a Scatter Chart that's supposed to display the x axis as Date ...
    (microsoft.public.office.developer.web.components)
  • Re: Automatic swap of x - and y - axis
    ... Dim cht As Chart ... have checked last years databases and graphs appear to be o.k. ... They upgraded to Excel 2007 in June/July. ... Are the values that were plotted on the horizontal axis now plotted on ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.charting)