"Could not change to that identity"

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

An unknown error (-5000) occurred.

I was having a minor problem with Entourage not remembering my password and after IT was done with my system, Entourage is just completely hosed now.

When I launch Entourage, I get the error "Could not change to that identity. An unknown error (-5000) occurred." If I create a new identity and try to switch to it, I also get the same problem.

I have been unable to find a fix for this.

Suspecting it might be a permissions problem, I ran the permissions repair in Disk Utility. It didn't.

I ran the fix on this page, <http://macosx.com/tech-support/mac/office-2008-error-with-database/335965.html> but it didn't fix it.

/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/chown -h -R root:admin "/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008" "/Library/Automator" "/Library/Fonts/Microsoft" "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft"

Unfortunately I have no idea what they did (I wasn't around when they were working on it) and I have no trust in letting them back into my system.

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the problem and might be able to give me some tips.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problems sending mail with cable vs. dial-up connection
    ... Well, folks, I found the fix to this problem -- or at least the fix to my ... I called Earthlink today to tell them of my issue, ... Within Entourage, they had me go into Tools/Accounts, highlight ... cable connection like before. ...
  • Re: All these darned bugs in Office 2004 -- especially Entourage!
    ... then suddenly stopped (though they work in Entourage). ... > reason (must resart app to fix this). ... > right now) might be bearable if Office 2004 offered any substantial benefits ... > noticeably fix any of the bugs in 11.0. ...
  • Re: email will not send
    ... An unknown error occurred. ... When you try to use Microsoft Entourage X to send or to receive e-mail, ... this is a POP account and a local folder, ... Schedule/Empty Deleted Items Items Folder. ...
  • Re: Rules wont apply to received messages
    ... You could export all items from the current database and re-import them into ... As for 'demanding' a fix, you seem unclear as to whether that fix should ... Check out the Entourage User's WebLog for hints, ... installed Office 2004 up to 11.2.3 and all is FANTASTIC. ...
  • Re: Entourage with Tiger
    ... fix your right-justification problem? ... > right-justification problem others have described; ... I've spent a lot of time re-building Entourage databases, ... > working with emails in text-only mode, ...