"Could not change to that identity"

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

An unknown error (-5000) occurred.

I was having a minor problem with Entourage not remembering my password and after IT was done with my system, Entourage is just completely hosed now.

When I launch Entourage, I get the error "Could not change to that identity. An unknown error (-5000) occurred." If I create a new identity and try to switch to it, I also get the same problem.

I have been unable to find a fix for this.

Suspecting it might be a permissions problem, I ran the permissions repair in Disk Utility. It didn't.

I ran the fix on this page, <http://macosx.com/tech-support/mac/office-2008-error-with-database/335965.html> but it didn't fix it.

/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/chown -h -R root:admin "/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008" "/Library/Automator" "/Library/Fonts/Microsoft" "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft"

Unfortunately I have no idea what they did (I wasn't around when they were working on it) and I have no trust in letting them back into my system.

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the problem and might be able to give me some tips.

  • Re: Problems sending mail with cable vs. dial-up connection
    ... Well, folks, I found the fix to this problem -- or at least the fix to my ... I called Earthlink today to tell them of my issue, ... Within Entourage, they had me go into Tools/Accounts, highlight ... cable connection like before. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: All these darned bugs in Office 2004 -- especially Entourage!
    ... then suddenly stopped (though they work in Entourage). ... > reason (must resart app to fix this). ... > right now) might be bearable if Office 2004 offered any substantial benefits ... > noticeably fix any of the bugs in 11.0. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: Rules wont apply to received messages
    ... You could export all items from the current database and re-import them into ... As for 'demanding' a fix, you seem unclear as to whether that fix should ... Check out the Entourage User's WebLog for hints, ... installed Office 2004 up to 11.2.3 and all is FANTASTIC. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: email will not send
    ... An unknown error occurred. ... When you try to use Microsoft Entourage X to send or to receive e-mail, ... this is a POP account and a local folder, ... Schedule/Empty Deleted Items Items Folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: Entourage with Tiger
    ... fix your right-justification problem? ... > right-justification problem others have described; ... I've spent a lot of time re-building Entourage databases, ... > working with emails in text-only mode, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)