Re: Duplicate (but different!) folders in Entourage

On 1/31/08 6:52 PM, in article ee8b5e8.1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
"gerwehr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gerwehr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you for addressing my issue. What happened was that upon install, 2008
was unable to transfer the 2004 database. A MS tech had me rebuild the
database using the database utility in 2004, which I did. 2008 was then able
to accept it and it functions normally... Except that it created three copies
of every folder that was "on my computer"

So I am now using Entourage 2008, but in the left-hand column, under the
"Folders on My Computer" there are three copies of each of my folders, and
mysteriously, they contain different numbers of messages!

I have found scripts that can find/eliminate duplicates... is there a script
that can merge folders?

No, that is not possible. I would move all messages to one folder and delete
the extra folders. Then run the duplicate scripts on each folder. You could
compare the number of messages left with the number of messages in each
folder in 2004. I know this is a lot of work, but there is no easy answer.

FWIW, Seeing multiple folders after a rebuild is not something that has been
reported before. In the future whenever you build as added insurance,
duplicate your Identity. They way you have a fall back in case the rebuild
goes bad.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>

  • Re: Rules have begun to work sporadically and the Junk filter has lost efficiency
    ... most annoying is the Junk filter is not catching as many Junk Messages ... To eliminate your database as the problem. ... recreate your folders too. ... even though Entourage duplicates your Identity during rebuild, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: Deleting Stubborn E-mails
    ... will copy to my computer folders, but I still cannot delete them. ... You need to rebuild your database. ... On the Entourage menu, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: Obsolete anchors, corrupt database, and missing messages.
    ... database rebuild was not successful. ... and in need of a rebuild. ... export as MBOX files all your folders and subfolders. ... Export folders as MBOX files using a script ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: Alll those mails after rebuild... .:-(
    ... That's a known side-effect of rebuilding the database. ... there's no reason to rebuild on a regular basis. ... there in various folders. ... I had about 400 mails in the junk folder which I had to go ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: Relinking to multiple back end files
    ... may actually wind up in different folders. ... getting Name, Database, and ForeignName from MySysObjects, ... >> several back end data files. ... >> for each distinct source. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.externaldata)