Re: Outlook express strange problem

From: Michael Santovec (
Date: 09/15/04

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:42:31 -0700

I suspect that you have an incorrect registry setting for the problem user. Possibly the
Store Root setting.

OE: Changing the Default Location of Mail and News Folders
See the section for OE5 in the above location for the key (OE6 uses the same key structure
as OE5).

Also see:
OE won't even start

For further help

Use the following newsgroup for questions or problems with OE6

You can also get to the Outlook Express newsgroups via this web site:
There select Internet Technologies then Internet Explorer

You will find out information about issues affecting Outlook Express 5/6 at:

Mike -
"Mark" <> wrote in message
>I have two users on my computer running XP Professional.
> On one user Outlook Express works fine.  On the other
> user every time I open OE I immediately get the message:
> !  The folder could not be created.
>   A folder name must contain at least one character
> to this I have no choice other than to click OK.
> Then I get the message:
> Norton Antispam needs to restart Outlook Express to
> continue.
> Outlook Express will now be restarted.
> to which I also have no choice but to click OK.
> Then OE restarts and the process starts all over again.
> I have tried disabling Norton Internet Security and
> reinstalling OE with no luck.  Any suggestions?
> Mark

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OL2003 Crashes and Restarts - Crashes and Restarts
    ... needed repair so I simply exited and restarted thinking it would repair ... For example in the inbox I have message collapsed. ... I'm using the default Outlook profile. ... A dialog pops up to notify Microsoft and it includes a 'restart' ...
  • Re: Macros and Outlook?
    ... Did you restart Outlook after changing the macro security setting to Low? ... > I have not tried any other VBA code. ...
  • Re: Users can see all details of my appointments
    ... Close and restart Outlook. ... | me being able to see other's calendar details. ... | clients", but I closed Outlook on their machines and that didn't ...
  • Re: OL2003 Crashes and Restarts - Crashes and Restarts
    ... scanpst seems to have helped and it seems I was lucky as it did not whack my ... Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours ... A dialog pops up to notify Microsoft and it includes a 'restart' ... I've also allowed Windows Update to install Office SP2 which ...
  • Re: store.exe memory usage
    ... Do the large mailboxes have folders with lots of items in them? ... If so, every time a user touches one of them Outlook has to render the view, which a compute- and disk-intensive process. ... >>> restart following that seems to have helped a bit, ...