Re: Impersonation, ASP.NET and IS via OLEDB

I'm 99% sure this is fixed in Windows Server 2003 SP1. Please install it
and give it a try.

"matthewt" <matthewt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been battling the problem of performing an Index Server search via
> OLEDB from ASP.NET whilst impersonating the end-user (windows auth) for
quite
> a while.
>
> I've had it working on Win2K for the last 8 months, using programatic
rather
> than declarative impersonation, but could never get it going on WinXP Pro.
> MSFT (Wen-Jun Zhang) confirmed back in August 04 that this had been listed
as
> a bug *and* that Windows Server 2003 wasn't affected.
>
> I've just migrated our application to Win2K3 and found that I'm getting
> exactly the same error as XP Pro produces.
>
> To re-cap, I get an "Access Denied" message from the OLEDB provider
whenever
> I perform a search whilst impersonating the end-user and having previously
> run a SET command to alias a custom property (from an HTML meta-tag).
>
> I have a simple web form that reproduces the error for me if that's of to
> anyone.
>
> I've run regmon and filemon and can't see anything obvious + I've truned
on
> quite a bit of security auditing and don't see any failure audits.
>
> One small bit of progress was that when I configured the app pool to run
as
> LocalSystem, the error went away. Unfortunately, running our application
as
> LocalSystem is not acceptable.
>
> I'd appreciate info from anyone at MSFT regarding whether or not the bug
has
> been fixed, and if so whether a patch is available.
>
> I'd welcome any help/advice from anyone else on working this out....
>
> cheers,
> Matt Thurlow

  • Re: Windows Security vs. Application Security
    ... are you calling LoadUserProfile after impersonating the user? ... Best Practices for implementing Windows Server 2003 PKI: ... Windows Server 2003 web enrollment and troubleshooting guide: ... > The problem is that the security context of the application is the same as ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Known Issues on 2003 Clusters
    ... a bug in Windows Server 2003. ... Windows Server 2003 doesn't natively know ... anything about your Chat or Visubox applications, so I don't know what "bug" ... > I am getting problems with the Chat room and Visubox, ...
  • Re: Weird AD happening
    ... doubt that this is a bug. ... Paul Williams ... Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services ...
  • Re: Undeclared tag ID 28 is used in a FOR XML EXPLICIT query
    ... running under Windows Server 2003 platform. ... has only appeared on the environment running Windows ... the bug is planned to ... >> I have quite a large FOR XML EXPLICIT query in a stored ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.xml)
  • Re: Selection problem in NTBackup
    ... Windows Server 2003 and XP have this bug but if you jump back to Windows Server 2000 it all acts as one would expect. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)