Re: More Authorization Questions

From: Jeff Cochran (jeff.nospam_at_zina.com)
Date: 08/20/04

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:15:14 GMT

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 06:59:00 -0700, "Evan" <grime@forbiddenninja.com>
wrote:

>This doesn't make much sense to me.... Is it not possible
>to set my smtp service up so that it requires
>authentication, and yet still be able to receive emails
>from the outside world?

No. If you want systems to authenticate, then you can't accept mail
from systems that don't authenticate.

>If it's not possible that really
>makes for a hard decision. Do I want to leave my email
>server open for anonymous relay and have spammers use my
>server freely, or do I want to enforce authentication and
>not be able to receive any email from the outside world
>because the other email servers don't have authorization?

You're confusing relaying with authenticating. They're not the same
thing.

>I tried adding IP ranges to the Relay Restrictions list,
>but that didn't do any good. It's as if the SMTP service
>is ignoring that list when it decides whether or not to
>accept an email. What am I missing here?

What OS and version of SMTP? I think you may be missing where to set
relay restrictions, but it may be a case of not stopping and
restarting the SMTP services.

Jeff