Re: ISA or ?: Suggestions, please

From: Ian Moran (ianm_at_konnexion.com)
Date: 03/01/05

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:20:44 +0000
To: TLW <tlw@oceanlighthouse.com>

You don't need both that's for sure. All depends on your requirements.
ISA 2004 is superb at securely publishing Exchange resources such as
OWA, OMA & Server Activesync - you wont find a hardware firewall capable
of doing this as well, but then you may not need this functionality.
Also, being an Application Layer based firewall ISA is capable of deep
packet inspection - something a packet filter firewall appliance such as
Sonicwall does not do. Also with hardware appliances AD user/group
support in rules may not be possible.

Personally, I'd go for ISA 2004 where the internal network is largely
composed of MS servers/applications and desktops - and I've been a
Sonicwall reseller and user for many years.

Compare the Sonicwall TZ170 50 user device with ISA 2004.

Ian