Re: ISA or ?: Suggestions, please

From: Ian Moran (ianm_at_konnexion.com)
Date: 03/01/05

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:20:44 +0000
To: TLW <tlw@oceanlighthouse.com>

You don't need both that's for sure. All depends on your requirements.
ISA 2004 is superb at securely publishing Exchange resources such as
OWA, OMA & Server Activesync - you wont find a hardware firewall capable
of doing this as well, but then you may not need this functionality.
Also, being an Application Layer based firewall ISA is capable of deep
packet inspection - something a packet filter firewall appliance such as
Sonicwall does not do. Also with hardware appliances AD user/group
support in rules may not be possible.

Personally, I'd go for ISA 2004 where the internal network is largely
composed of MS servers/applications and desktops - and I've been a
Sonicwall reseller and user for many years.

Compare the Sonicwall TZ170 50 user device with ISA 2004.

Ian

TLW wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We need a firewall for a small business LAN, currently Windows 2003
> Servers, including Exchange Server 2003, SQL Server 2000 and file servers
> with about 30 workstations behind Proxy Server 2.0. For several years, we
> have successfully used Proxy 2.0 with a single dial-up connection for
> internet access for all users. It is quite effective and, believe it or
> not, amazingly fast considering a single dial-up connection for so many
> users. The small business is upgrading to DSL now.
> Requirements are quite simple and number of users is quite small. Web
> browsing and email in/out are needed for all users. FTP and VPN are needed
> for a few users.
>
> Is ISA 2004 a good choice, is a hardware firewall a better choice, or
> are both in order?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions and information.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: OWA page not displayed Outside
    ... Open the ISA Server management console, ... On the ISA Server computer, stop the Microsoft Firewall service. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Publishing Media Services behind ISA
    ... I know this post is a year old, but I am having the same exact problem (except I have no outside Cisco firewall, just the ISA). ... I am using RTSP Server and MMS Server as the ... Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • RE: Firewall service and remoteaccess service shut down frequently
    ... Do you have run the CEICW after installing the ISA components? ... please open SBS server management console, ... Click the Add Adapter button, and add your internal network adapter ... Meanwhile, from the subject, you said you the firewall service and RRAS ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SBS Premium installed - Some configuration questions...
    ... ISA and a hardware firewall are in the same league. ... and only allowing those ports in. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: ISA with a hardware firewall?
    ... to the mail server. ... Can ISA talk to a hardware firewall for site-to-site VPN? ... Exchange 2003 Server behind ISA 2004 with a DSL internet provider. ...
    (microsoft.public.isaserver)