Re: the hosts file

"Peter Larsen" <digilyd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23PM87QJnJHA.4028@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

will the ISA abide by THE hosts file so that I can skip putting it on the
clients and having to update it there?

Hi, Peter,

Yes, I believe so. But I think you could accomplish the same by putting the
hosts file on the AD/DNS as well. Since everything is supposed to use the
AD/DNS only (and nothing else) then that would be the logical place for it
to be. I think the AD/DNS would try to resolve in this order:

1. The hosts File
2. It's own Database with the Zones is possesses
3. The Forwarders in the Forwarders list.

You may want to experiment with it to verify it actually works that way.

But in the 10 years I've been where I work, I have never had to depend on
hosts files for anything important,...there have always been better
ways,...so you might want to reconsider your reasons for using hosts files.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

  • Re: the hosts file
    ... putting the hosts file on the AD/DNS as well. ... I would try it on the AD/DNS machines first. ... The reason I would not try it on the ISA is because the ISA is not always ... Sometimes the Clients do their own resolution ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
  • Re: the hosts file
    ... Phillip Windell wrote: ... on the clients and having to update it there? ... putting the hosts file on the AD/DNS as well. ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
  • Re: Limited User program permissions
    ... accomplish what I wished, that is, allow a limited user to edit the hosts ... file by running the command you indicated on the hosts file itself. ... The Power Users group doesn't make a great deal of difference when running ... elevated risk when you weaken its security in this manner. ...
  • Re: Office 2007 slow to open files stored on SBS 2003
    ... just follow as I mentioned - open notepad and then type EXACTLY ... hosts file in WinSxS actively used by the OS during normal operation. ... is disabled on both client and server. ... clients with new 64 bit Windows 7 clients on which we have installed ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Netscreen 5 login
    ... clients, you may want to consider using a HOSTS file instead. ... >specify on the client the WINS server in the company network, ... >> network with no dedicated server. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)