Re: Problem running ZoneFriends

Matt wrote:
When I sign into the Zone and go to the chess lobby, ZoneFriends starts to load but then suddenly I get the error message: "This program has been damaged, possibly by a virus or a bad sector of the hard drive".

I am almost certain that this is a virus or spyware on my computer but nothing shows up when I run my anti-virus programs and I don't see any bad files in my system folders. Reinstalling the zone files doesn't help at all, or the Active-X components. I'm thinking some obscure registry key might have been damaged by some virus in the past but I don't know,

- Windows ME
- The error message only appears with Zonefriends, no other programs

Any suggestions?

You could use System Restore to go back to a date before the problem, but, if you had virus damage, there may not be any good entry points.

I think Zfriends opens Zone.exe and zfriends.dll. If you deleted all the files in the MSN Gaming Zone folder, that would include any used by Zfriends, I believe. But the ActiveX controls in the Downloaded Program Files folder could be damaged.. Here's what you might try:

Open Internet Properties, General tab, Settings button, View Objects button. If HeartbeatCtrl, or ZoneIntro Class is listed as Damaged, right-click, remove the components, then reenter the Zone for fresh copies.

MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address from "invalid" to "com" if you want to email me.

  • Re: Anyone else notice that Swen is slowing down?
    ... And my attempt to install amavis/clamav was a bit ... a virus like Swen wouldn't need root access to spread. ... someone could imageinebly write a perl script with its own SMTP-engine. ... real damage anyway, and it would do real damage to Linux' reputation as ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: hard disk damage
    ... http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_10300.htm) and the closest to causing damage to hardware. ... No virus has actually caused hardware failures. ... can wipe the flash RAM most modern BIOS use on the platform's motherboard. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Cant get onto computer - please help!
    ... Your assessment of of antivirus programs as "searchers and ... Virus scanners are quite ... moderately good at repairing the damage that's been done. ... To summarise, how can I get my computer from working fine in safe mode, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Cant get onto computer - please help!
    ... Now I'm back to square one - how to get rid of the virus. ... > moderately good at repairing the damage that's been done. ... >> using Norton to search for the spyware. ... To summarise, how can I get my computer from working fine in safe mode, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: hard disk damage
    ... a virus cannot physically ... damage a hard ... >confirm what David and I have already said. ... Goodell, several years back. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)