ports crash during a game?

XP-home/ SP2
Linksys WRT54G
4 computers on network- 1 is wireless laptop
cable modem(comcast)
2400cpu AMD
Ports are triggered to MSN zone to my masked IP
Ports are UDP/TCP forwarded to my mask IP

problem--- something during games is crashing my ports... my game crashes
with everyone disconnecting from me, which turns out i disconnect from them,
so its not a game crash its a disconnection to the game, which i know isn't
an interruption on ISP cause my zone lobby stays open and connected. But i
usually have more then one lobby open as its easier to find games that way
and they will crash most the time when this happens but one room, also winamp
i have playing in backround losses connection to the internet radio station.

I've read that all should have direct X 9.c to avoid problems, but how can
you police that.

I've also read SP2 should be on all the puters your connected with to avoid
problems, but i can't police that either.

I've tried to disable as much of the xp firewall as possible but its kind of
confusing how to individually open apps and ports, even though i have it
turned off theres still a bunch of things to configure on it.

So my question is-- whats causing me to disconnect from games mid game after
playing? Ive configured the roughter and tcp/ip ports open as much as
possible and tried to disable xp firewall as much as possible but its still
doing it.

Is there something i can do? Or is this problems with others having old
directX's not being updated and not having XP/SP2? Thats assuming everyone
runs XP?

Is there problems with porple running non microsoft O/S thats causing this?

I'm really confused......I have no idea if this will happen with other games
cause i've only been playing AoK C expansion

And if i needed to trigger the ports open to the game app? Whats the game
app called? i've looked in the remove/install programs and this game has a
very long name. does the game need to be triggered and not the zone or both?

hope someone can give me some ideas. cause this is happening a lot. tons of
poeple crash from games... this is so annoying.

  • Reflections on maintaining Angband this last year
    ... It's been interesting trying to get a grip on all the stuff that this brings; server admin, reading every single message of rgra and every single post on the forum, and on top of that trying to change Angband to have a more open-source style development process, where more things happen in public and others can more easily join in coding. ... The second main point I'd like to make is that game balance is going to be broken for a while. ... Because the game now has good, usable SDL and GTK ports, I plan on removing the Xaw and X11 ports. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.angband)
  • Re: msn zone problem
    ... >i am trying to play linksls 2000 on the zone. ... > a room, but when the game launchs, i cant connect. ... Sounds like there's a firewall in your Router or that DSL Modem: ... or open the necessary ports in the equipment with you. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • Re: doom, quake, hexen...
    ... Install timidity++ from ports to get MIDI background music support. ... Z_Init: ... DooM or Quake. ... If I wanted a linux game, I would use the linux notebook. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: ports crash during a game?
    ... Ports are triggered to MSN zone to my masked IP ... with everyone disconnecting from me, which turns out i disconnect from them, so its not a game crash its a disconnection to the game, which i know isn't an interruption on ISP cause my zone lobby stays open and connected. ... I've tried to disable as much of the xp firewall as possible but its kind of confusing how to individually open apps and ports, even though i have it turned off theres still a bunch of things to configure on it. ... And if i needed to trigger the ports open to the game app? ...
    (microsoft.public.games.zone)
  • NFS HP v1.1 Update
    ... playing your game online. ... to Xbox Live and resolve most, if not all of your connectivity issues. ... Another thing you can do is to check the ports for Xbox Live. ... blocked by a firewall, router, or even your Internet Service Provider ...
    (uk.games.video.misc)