Re: Zone games..Please answer this post!

From: +Elmo_Tech (elmogeek_at_iglou.invalid)
Date: 10/19/04

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:51:21 -0400

Concerned Gamer wrote:

> The flooders are worse than ever. After being away from the zone for a few
> years, I thought I would give it another shot, unfortunately due to the
> flooders you are lucky to finish 1 in 5 games.
>
> Also, many times this leads to false incompletes on your rated record. I
> actually spoke to one of the flooders last night and seems they are bored
> college students. I was informed the flooder program is readily available on
> the net and dl's by over 40 people a day, so this is bound to get much worse.
>
> One of the + sysops figured a way to stifle them by occupying all tables and
> only vacating for valid players. I was in one room the sysop was doing this
> and another +sysop came in and told her/him they were not allowed to sit at
> all tables. In another room, the sysop was great and used this method and we
> were actually able to enjoy a few games in a row.
>
> I am sure this was alot of work for the sysop, but it was very much
> appreciated.
>
> If this problem is not resolved, I am sure players ill go elsewhere, the
> zone is not the only gaming site on the net. If you need to see how
> frustrating this is just go try to play some spades at the zone.
>
> Surely something can be done?
>
> "+Elmo_Tech" wrote:
>
> > ruby wrote:
> > >
> > > RE the message below...I sent this toyou on 9/7/04 and NO
> > > ONE has responded. Don't you have an answer?? Please
> > > respond.
> > > Thank you..................
> > >

> > > When playing in a zone game, namely spades, the game
> > > freezes for all players and we turn red in the "Net:"
> > > area". How do we prevent this? We are running WinXP
> > > SP2, but it happened BEFORE SP2 was installed.
> >
> > That may be because of someone flooding the chat room.. Try this site
> > for possible help:
> >
> > http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html

It's a shame the rooms aren't all set up like Euchre. Once you enter a
game there, you're temporarily disconnected from the Zone. In this
setup, a flooder doesn't affect your game at the host computer.

In comparison, if you close the lobby, you lose your connection to the
table in Spades..

Hopefully the next Zone upgrade, maybe due in December as has happened
before, will handle this better. You would think that canceling
Passport subscriptions for flooding could work in time.. that plus
actually banning nicknames and/or IP addresses. And the software could
automatically disconnect and ban flooders, I would imagine.