MSN Msngr Games - Known Issue List

From: Godiva (contactOBVIOUS_at_zonetechs.com)
Date: 08/05/04

Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:27:11 -0700

Elmo,
This is a list of known issues they are working to resolve. You may come
across some of them in the meantime.
http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Issues.aspx

"+Elmo_Tech" <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote in message
> Godiva wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jill,
> >
> > I received the following information in reply:
> >
> > The error indicates an error running one of the game library files
included
> > with the messenger installation (either missing or corrupted). The
suggested
> > solution would be to uninstall MSN messenger and reinstall it or simply
> > re-run the installation file and select the repair option. to do the
latter
> > it may be necessary to download the installation file to the users hard
> > drive then open the file to get the installation running.
> > If that doesn't correct the problem try reinstalling and/or updating the
> > macromedia flash web components.
> >
> > Note: It is suggested that you disable any antivirus programs when
> > uninstalling or reinstalling MSN Messenger. Sometime an antivirus
program
> > can prevent a program from properly installing.
> >
> > Also, if you check in IE, tools -->Internet Options---> under temporary
> > internet file, click settings --> view objects. In the downloaded
programs
> > folder you will see active X components for the games. (example,
Solitare
> > Showdown Class) If any component looks like
> >
> > {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF}
> >
> > it is corrupted and needs to be removed. You can right click a file and
> > choose properties to see if the Active X Control indicates a codebase of
> > http://messenger.zone.msn.com. This will tell you if the active X is
related
> > to MSN Messenger Games or another program you may have installed. To
remove
> > a corrupted Active X Component, right click the file and choose delete
from
> > the menu. Uninstall/reinstall Messenger. If you find a corrupted Active
> > related to another program you have installed, you will need to check
your
> > help/documentation related to that program for instructions.
> >
> > Best Wishes,

> > +_Godiva
> > MSN Games at Zone.com
> > Technical Committee
> >
> > "Godiva" <contactOBVIOUS@zonetechs.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > The error messages in Messenger, leave much to be desired. At least at
> > > zone.com when a launch fails due to ports, you get a failed to
connect,
> > > failed to launch or failed to detect <game> error message. I've sent a
> > > zalert notice to zMaster regarding Jill's error. May take 48+ hours to
get
> > > reply. Hopefully, as a longer term improvement of service, some new,
> > > informative, error messages can be added, as well.

> > > ps. Elmo, the following MS KB page related to zone ports is gone.
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q159031
> > >
> > > +_Godiva
> > > MSN Games at Zone.com
> > > Technical Committee
> > >
> > > "+Elmo_Tech" <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote in message

> So, with MSNM the Heartbeat component is replaced by ActiveX components
> for individual games? That would explain why there was no Heartbeat, I
> suppose.
>
> Thanks for the info Godiva; I hope this helps Jill.
>
> --
>
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSNŽ Gaming ZoneT - Technical Support

Relevant Pages

  • Re: error message for MSN messenger games (i have nowhere else to go!)
    ... > with the messenger installation. ... > uninstalling or reinstalling MSN Messenger. ... > to MSN Messenger Games or another program you may have installed. ... with MSNM the Heartbeat component is replaced by ActiveX components ...
    (microsoft.public.games.zone)
  • Re: error message for MSN messenger games (i have nowhere else to go!)
    ... with the messenger installation. ... uninstalling or reinstalling MSN Messenger. ... to MSN Messenger Games or another program you may have installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.games.zone)
  • Re: Any tweaks to speed up games under XP?
    ... I've seen that happen with some games where the game creates ... | "If you're using the same folder on a common partition for program ... | amiss with this as it's all still code for the Windows 32 bit API and DX ... |> for program installation and playing the games on XP and Win98SE ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • Re: Games missing
    ... Checking one of the boxes means you want to install the game listed to the ... Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC ... > the games folder is still empty. ... >>> Unless your computer has Windows XP installation files in a partition ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • ME to XP upgrade, having Msgr/OE problems
    ... MSNMSGR.EXE is MSN Messenger and MSNMSGS.MSI, a Windows Installer Package, ... >> Installation window comes up stating preparing to install. ... > outlook express off my XP CD again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)