Re: Installing game for win98 to winxp

From a long time ago.

I finally found the information I was looking for. On the W2000 disk is a
set of tools called the Windows Support Tools. In there is a utility called
the Application Compatibility Tool. This tool allows greater control over
the W95 software, and got me up and running. The information detailing this
is found in KB251062 and KB301423.

Thanks for putting me on the track to find what I needed,
Dan Hacker

"Jimmy S." <nosp@xxxxx> wrote in message
Hi rubyjack,

The game manufacturer would have to provide a patch
to override the Windows version check when the game
installs, otherwise the game would install just fine.

--
Cheers, *Windows_XP_MVP_Shell/User*

Visit my MSN Games and Windows Gaming Help Site: www.msce.mvps.org
My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
rights.

rubyjack Wrote:
=================
| Alas, alas! I followed the directions and got the message: "This
program
| requires Windows 95" <ok> "Initialization Failed."
|
| I do appreciate the reply,
| Dan Hacker
|
| "Jimmy S." <nosp@xxxxx> wrote in message
|| Hi rubyjack,
|| How To Enable Application Compatibility-Mode Technology in Windows 2000
SP2 and SP3:
|| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279792
|| --
|| Cheers, *Windows_XP_MVP_Shell/User*
|| Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
|| Visit my MSN Games and Windows Gaming Help Site: www.msce.mvps.org
|| MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
|| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
rights.
|| _________________________________________________________
|| rubyjack Wrote:
|| =================
||| Will this work for W2000 and W95 games? If not, is there a way to
play W95
||| games on a W2000 computer.
||| Switching from W98SE to W2000,
||| Dan Hacker
||| "Jimmy S." <nosp@xxxxx> wrote in message
shortcut).
||| www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a
| http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc112202/WC112202.ppt
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms

  • Re: need to know
    ... The recommended solution is to use Compatibility mode ... to get those older games to work in Windows XP. ... Modifying your Windows XP installation the way you ... Windows XP installation, try a Virtual PC for 45 days from: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • Re: Antivirus
    ... on my Vista based laptop ... Rocket Dock, a Mac OS X style Dock for Windows, at startup I had to ... games to run well and most of my games are older ones. ... buildings, or had a couple years working support for an ISP, I could ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Big Brother is watching... and nagging
    ... are you using Windows XP? ... By being able to drop support of 98 they ... games for it means dumbing down your game. ... You can buy an Intel MacIntosh ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Windows Fails?
    ... Visit my MSN Games and Windows Gaming Help Site: ... MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • Re: XP home and Games for 98SE
    ... most of the "older" games will run perfectly well on Windows XP. ... what Compatibility Mode does is allow the older program to ... installed using Compatibility starting with the installation itself. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)