Re: Compound index and unique

From: Charles (clsuhr_at_cox.net)
Date: 02/19/05

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:10:34 -0800

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:00:31 -0700, "Fred Taylor"
<ftaylor@mvps.org!REMOVE> wrote:

>Forget about using a UNIQUE index, you're just asking for trouble and/or
>corruption.
>
>If you need a list for display purposes, then do a SQL SELECT using the
>MIN() SQL function:
>
>SELECT item,MIN(yourdate) FROM yourtable GROUP BY item INTO CURSOR
>somecursor

The list is then link back to an cursor to replace the earliest date
all items with the earliest I get from the filtered or subset I have.
Then use the earliest date to determine a offset to the start of the
other activity.

So the grouping by will return me my uniqueness of the item?

Thanks for the quick response.