Re: Compound index and unique

From: Charles (clsuhr_at_cox.net)
Date: 02/19/05

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:10:34 -0800

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:00:31 -0700, "Fred Taylor"
<ftaylor@mvps.org!REMOVE> wrote:

>Forget about using a UNIQUE index, you're just asking for trouble and/or
>corruption.
>
>If you need a list for display purposes, then do a SQL SELECT using the
>MIN() SQL function:
>
>SELECT item,MIN(yourdate) FROM yourtable GROUP BY item INTO CURSOR
>somecursor

The list is then link back to an cursor to replace the earliest date
all items with the earliest I get from the filtered or subset I have.
Then use the earliest date to determine a offset to the start of the
other activity.

So the grouping by will return me my uniqueness of the item?

Thanks for the quick response.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Avoiding interpret?
    ... The SQL function rejects the request if the ... A simple / compact "AddColumn" method which accepts many args defining that column to the class... ... Since you mention cursor numbers, I assume you are working with the official IBM driver. ... Lueck Data Systems ...
    (comp.lang.rexx)
  • Re: Create cursor from ordered table
    ... have you try with SELECT SQL function; ... First is to create a cursor with the same structure as an open table. ... direct one statement method I have missed. ... I did some experiments with APPEND FROM ...