query max characters limit

From: Satish (Satish_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/28/04

    Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:17:03 -0700

    Hi,
    I am trying to access data from a table like
    "select col1,col2,col3 from table1 where name in ('A1','A2','A3',..,..,..
    ..,'An')"

    If the number of elements in the where clause are more, i get a error
    message and it looks like there is some limitation in the number of
    characters in the query (with sql server i havent observed any limitation).
    When I try to avoid this problem by firing individual queries, performance is
    severely impacted. Any suggestions on how to get around this problem?

    I am using VFP6 and fire these queries through VFP ODBC driver from my VC++
    application,

    Thanks a lot for your time & support,

    --
    Satish
    Invensys

    • RE: ORDER BY CASE statements within a UNION JOIN
      ... >Is this a limitation of the UNION join? ... You can read about it in BOL. ... Look for "ORDER BY Clause". ...
    • Limitations in a query !!
      ... I'm a newbee to this forum. ... on "IN" clause in select query. ... I've read at some documentation that there is a limitation for Columns ...
      (comp.databases.ms-sqlserver)