Re: Any way to speed up this query?

From: Fred Taylor (ftaylor_at_mvps.org!REMOVE)
Date: 10/15/04

    Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:43:51 -0700

    > What is sys(3050,1,10e6) ?

    Set foreground memory usage of VFP to be 10 million bytes.

    --
    Fred
    Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
    "Kathy Weise" <kw@kathyweise.com> wrote in message
    > Not tight on disk space or memory. Keep in mind that each table is approx.
    > 1 Gb each, but combined fields are only a little more since the 3 added
    > fields are only a total of 14 characters.
    >
    > What is sys(3050,1,10e6)  ?
    >

    > "Rick Bean" <rgbean@unrealmelange-inc.com> wrote in message
    > Anders,
    > I think that one big delay may be Kath'y writing it out to a new table.
    > Especially if she is tight on memory AND diskspace, the machine could be
    > "thrashing" to get the space to complete the task.
    >
    > Rick
    >
    > "Anders Altberg" <x_pragma@telia.com> wrote in message
    >>I still don't see what's slowing this down.
    >> I created two cursors with three columns each , a record length of 50
    >> bytes
    >> and index on the PK seqno column;  one cursor with 4.6 million records,
    >> the
    >> other 3.5 million rows with matching 'seqno' keys.
    >> (512MB memory, 1.5Mhz processor )
    >> SYS(3050,1,10e6)
    >> SYS(3050,2.10e6)
    >> SELECT * FROM T1 LEFT JOIN T2 ON T1seqno=T2.seqno
    >> 114 seconds
    >> -Anders
    >>

    >> "Kathy Weise" <kw@kathyweise.com> wrote in message
    >>> Rick,
    >>> I'm creating a file to output to a client. Table1 is their pristine
    >>> data.
    >>> append some data to a working copy of their file (table2) in which I've
    >>> parsed fields, address standardized, etc. At the end, they want just
    >>> their
    >>> pristine data back with 3 appended fields. Yes, it's 1 to 1 so the new
    >> table
    >>> is only bigger than the original by the three added fields.
    >>>
    >>> Kathy
    >>>

    >>> "Rick Bean" <rgbean@unrealmelange-inc.com> wrote in message
    >>> Kathy,
    >>> I'm just curious why you need this table. Are you moving the data to
    >> another
    >>> system, or are you just using it for a query or report? If you just want
    >>> "browse" or report on the resulting rows, then just using both tables
    >>> with
    >>> relationship should suffice. (I am assuming that this is a 1-1
    >> relationship
    >>> otherwise you might be pushing the 2gb max table size for the resultant
    >>> table.)
    >>>
    >>> Rick
    >>>
    >>> "Kathy Weise" <kw@kathyweise.com> wrote in message

    >>> characters).

    • Re: Any way to speed up this query?
      ... Not tight on disk space or memory. ... >> Rick, ...
      (microsoft.public.fox.vfp.queries-sql)
    • Re: What Basic compiler should I buy??
      ... >except where things are very tight. ... It's the application requirements that count, not the language. ... implicitly decides how much memory is used, not the compiler. ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: Christmas Show
      ... > I've got a memory of Lynda wittering on to Kathy in her usual insensitive manner ... > and praising the memory of Owen some time after he had run away. ... Then Kathy told her ...
      (uk.media.radio.archers)
    • Re: Restarting killed processes
      ... > That sounds like your system is running out of memory; ... How much swap do you have? ... I ran free and memory was pretty tight. ... Mandrake and SuSE on a desktop with 384 Meg RAM and 40 gigs disk space, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Christmas Show
      ... >> still picture the scene in my head but it would be very easy to persuade me that ... >> it is a fig tree of my imagination. ... I've got a memory of Lynda wittering on to Kathy in her usual insensitive manner ...
      (uk.media.radio.archers)