Re: FoxPro DOS 2.6 temp files

From: mcmike (mcmike_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/07/04

    Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:07:01 -0700

    Hi Fred,
    Thanks for the reply, the TEMPFILES in the message was in error not the entry in our CONFIG.FP. I posted that at the end of the day here and didn't take time to proof my note properly. Just to be clear, SYS(2023) returns a "C:" and SYS(2019) returns "C:\FOX\CONFIG.FP". The contents of our CONFIG.FP are below.

    Also, one more clue for consideration, when the error occurs our error trapping routine returns the user to the login for the main app. When that happens we get empty tables on the network drive which appear to be generated by the SELECT, (e.g. $ds49d.dbf) even though they should be created in the c:\fox directory. This is why I'm asking if there are some kind of scratch files created by Fox when a SELECT is executed that are not documented in an obvious manner.

    As I said before, this all started when we made changes to our Novell security by setting up some limits on who could acces or change files. We have other FPD programs which work just fine in the same environment so I'm thinking I've missed something in setting up the Novell group which controls my problem app. However I've looked at the settings for other groups which access the same data and they appear to be the same as my problem child.
    EDITWORK =c:\FOX
    SORTWORK = c:\FOX
    PROGWORK =c:\FOX
    TMPFILES =c:\FOX
    RESOURCE = C:\FOX
    mvcount = 2500
    files = 125
    mouse = 7
    mvarsiz = 128
    ems = off
    color set = color
    status = on
    shadow = on
    EXCLUSIVE=off
    resource=off
    CATMAN=OFF

    "Fred Taylor" wrote:

    > Maybe your problem is that it's TMPFILES, not TEMPFILES in the CONFIG.FP?
    >
    > Fred
    > Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
    >

    > "mcmike" <mcmike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone tell me if FoxPro for DOS creates any scratch files anywhere
    > other than in the directory pointed to by the TEMPFILES entry in CONFIG.FP.
    > >
    > > We have a legacy FPD application that has worked fine for years but after
    > some recent changes in our security settings on our Novell network has
    > started getting "File is in use." (error 3) problems when a SELECT TO CURSOR
    > command is executed. The apps CONFIG.FP file points all of the temporary
    > files to a directory on the client's local C: drive. The strange thing is
    > that after the error is trapped once the app will work fine until the client
    > is re-started and the SELECT is run again.
    > >
    > > If I run the app from the command line via the Fox runtime (FOXR.EXE) the
    > error is generated every other time I run it.
    > >
    > > I think this is some kind of Novell security or premissions issue where
    > some kind of internal scratch file for FoxPro is being created on the server
    > drive rather than the temp directory on the client. I have tried changing
    > the destination of the SELECT from a Cursor to a table on the client's C:
    > drive, to SELECTing into an array. All generate the File is in Use error.
    > >
    > > BTW, I have full supervisor rights for my login on the server but I get
    > the error anyway.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if the SELECT statement creates any temp files other that
    > where the TEMPFILES settings point to?
    > >
    > > mike...

    • Re: Reading million records
      ... How can I get same performance as FoxPro using Postgres or any other database? ... FoxPro is what is called an ISAM DB - or a double-linked list manager - or in our common language - a "desktop database". ... Postgres is a SQL DB server and those beasts works only on the 'network' - it really doesn't matter where the client actually is - especially in the Postgres case. ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Shadow Copy Doesnt seem to do much
      ... I set up my clients on the new server ... I installed the shadow copy client on one of the workstations. ... I copied a file off the server to the temp directory on the client ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
    • Re: Oplock
      ... Beim SMB2 Protokoll gibt es diese Option überhaupt nicht mehr. ... Ansonsten muss man jeden einzelnen Client umstellen. ... Daher: Server patchen! ... Visual FoxPro Technologieberater ...
      (microsoft.public.de.fox)
    • Re: Shadow Copy Doesnt seem to do much
      ... If you want to add files to the local d: drive on the server you'll ... I installed the shadow copy client on one of the workstations. ... >I copied a file off the server to the temp directory on the client ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.setup)
    • FoxPro 9 Anwendung unter Windows 7 Netzwerk-Performance-Problem
      ... Habe folgendes Problem mit einer Foxpro 9 Anwendung unter Windows 7. ... Einer der Windows 7 PC arbeitet als peer-to-peer Server. ... Client mit einem neuen Router verbunden. ...
      (microsoft.public.de.fox)