Re: Application closes my temporary table Automatically.

From: Juan Alonso (jacinc2_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/18/04

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:34:52 -0400

Hey Lee.

Thanks again for your help. The ReQuery() works fine, but my TEMPTABLE is
closed for some reson when I run the CREATE SQL VIEW on another file. I
don't understand. Here is a question.

Does VFP8 FORMS close any open tables that are not in a DBC automatically
when you open the form, or does this happen only when you run "ANY" CREATE
SQL VIEW ???

It seems when I do the CREATE SQL VIEW for my customer records, it closes
out the table I opened before I ran the CREATE SQL VIEW.

Thanks,

John.

"Lee Mitchell" <Leemi@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi John:
>
> I think I understand. The TEMPTABLE has two records in it and both have
> the data from the original CREATE SQL VIEW command. If this is the case,
> try selecting the view, issuing a ReQuery() function, and then the append
> routine in to TEMPTABLE.
>
> I hope this helps.

rights.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell
>
> *-- VFP9 Public Beta Now Available!! --*
> Download the VFP9 beta here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/
>
> *-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
> Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
> http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
> Purchase VFP8 here:
> http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518
>
> Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
> - VFP5 Mainstream Support retired June 30th, 2003
> - VFP6 Mainstream Support retired Sept. 30th, 2003
>

> >Thank you Lee. But I don't think I explaned myself well.
>
> >Let me take this on steps so that I don't lose the real problem in the
> >shuffle.
>
> >Here is my situation.
>
> >Say I use the CREATE SQL VIEW to create the remote view.
>
> >Ok. now after I have the SQL-VIEW say the cursor is called CURSOR-X, I
do
> >the following.
>
> >*** Example of what I am doing in code ***
> >Select CURSOR-X
> >COPY STRUCTURE TO TEMPTABLE
> >USE TEMPTABLE IN SELECT(1) SHARED
> >*** End of Example
>
> >Now, I RE-RUN my CREATE SQL VIEW and create CURSOR-X "AGAIN" with NEW
DATA.

> >I do not RE-DO THE ABOVE EXAMPLE. I browse CURSOR-X exit the browse
which
> >leaves the record pointer on the record I want to capture.
>
> >Now, I do this:
>
> >*** Example of what I am doing in code ***
> >Scatter Memvar && Creates Memory Variables with the same Names as the
> Table
> >Fields.
> >Select TEMPTABLE
> >APPEND BLANK
> >Gather Memvar && Fills the blank record with the data captured by the
> >SCATTER COMMAND.
> >*** End of Example
>
> >Now, I repeat the same thing, but here comes the problem.
> >The TEMPTABLE only holds the last appended data I selected from the
CREATE
> [...]
>
> >Well, hope anyone can help cuz this is new to me....
>
> >Thank you,
>
> >John.
>
> "Lee Mitchell" <Leemi@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi John:
> >
> > This is behaving as expected. You are correct in your observation that
> the
> > table is overwritten with the SQL-VIEW command. The table is recreated
> and
> > populated with fresh data. The CREATE SQL VIEW does not have an
'additive'
> > clause.
> >
> > I would send the results of the view to a cursor instead of a table and
> > then copy the results to your table.
> >
> > I hope this helps.

> rights.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> > Lee Mitchell
> >
> > *-- VFP9 Public Beta Now Available!! --*
> > Download the VFP9 beta here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/
> >
> > *-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
> > Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
> > http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
> > Purchase VFP8 here:
> > http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518
> >
> > Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
> > - VFP5 Mainstream Support retired June 30th, 2003
> > - VFP6 Mainstream Support retired Sept. 30th, 2003
> >

> > >Hello.
> >
> > >I have an application I am building in VFP8.
> >
> > >The problem I am having is that I use two tables. One is just for
> > >information, the other is to put the information into.
> >
> > >The first table is created with a SQL - VIEW command. The second is
> > created
> > >from a blank stucture.
> >
> > >The second table seems to be re-created automatically when ever I run
the
> > >SQL - VIEW to get more info to put in.
> >
> > >I use a variable called: "LISINVOICE" and "!USED('INVENT') to make sure
> the
> > >I am creating an invoice and that the table does not exsist.
> >
> > >Well in my Debug window I typed in the WATCH window:
> >
> > >used('invent') = .t.
> > >!used('invent') = .f.
> > >reccount('invent') = 0
> >
> > >The above display is what I start with. Then "reccount" turns to 1,
but
> > >when I run the SQL - VIEW again and select an item, instead of adding
it
> > >the new temporary table it re-creates the table from scratch and puts
> only
> > >the last record I selected in the table.
> >
> > >Any ideas why?
> >
> > >I have searched everywhere for possible forgotten codes and I have
> nothing
> > >that even calls the Work Environment nor the Table Name or Alias.
> >
> > >I am tired of tampering with this. Can anyone help me here.????

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SPS2 default.aspx corrupted
    ... This is an excerpt from the thread that Ed Lee thought I should take a look ... SQL prompt at the command line, figure out how to connect to the SQL ... >> would realize the correct path to the WSS page. ... >> my utter horror) that the normal SPS type home page was gone. ...
  • Re: SQL datatime Field
    ... Thanks Lee. ... > 137604 How to Convert SQL Datetime Column to a Date in a Remote View ... > Purchase VFP8 here: ... Now it shows time along with date in my data entry forms. ...
  • Re: COBOL stored procedure for DB2
    ... Regarding how you precompile the app, you must specify target mfcob to db2 prep, rather than target ibmcob. ... Have you also confirmed that, prior to executing the CALL statement, the host variables specified within the client app have the appropriate values? ... MODIFIES SQL DATA ... confirm the cob command used for creating the SP module. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: COBOL stored procedure for DB2
    ... Have you also confirmed that, prior to executing the CALL statement, the ... The DB2 CREATE PROCEDURE statement. ... MODIFIES SQL DATA ... confirm the cob command used for creating the SP module. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Can I get Consultancy advice on SQL/Fox in the UK (South East)
    ... My problem is the two Sequel Server tables within one database with which I ... Don't ask me why but the SQL designers have NOT ... command that I can initiate with SQLCONNECT, ... > While you're in the View Designer, right-click and view the SQL code. ...
    (microsoft.public.fox.helpwanted)